There's nothing wild about this - 35%

Zodijackyl, May 17th, 2012

The year is 1980-something, I'm cruising around Miami in a convertible listening to the hard rock station on the radio, rocking out and singing along to the chorus of every semi-anthemic song. This album makes me reminisce of those days. While those days weren't a part of my life, I think I heard this album in that situation while playing Grand Theft Auto: Vice City. The game even had a fictional cock rock band named Love Fist, who had two generic 80s hard rock songs that played on the radio during that game. While an album's worth of song titles by Love Fist are named, one only heard two songs by them. It's an odd similarity that a fictional band managed to do what Running Wild are doing these days ten years before they did it, because it has historically been that other bands did what Running Wild did, but ten years after them.

The album starts off with a generic 80s-style hard rock song with a catchy chorus and some filler in between the choruses. Actually, the album starts off with five of those songs. Tracks 1-5 are, as far as I can tell, all the same song.

"Me and the Boys" is an all-out rock sing-along song, the band's anthem expressing that they chose to rock and roll. It's cheesy, not too bad, but nothing special. Running Wild tried to do what Motley Crue and Quiet Riot did much better than them. "Shadowmaker" is more aggressive and thrashy, but it doesn't really stand out.

Tracks 8 and 9 also contain the first song as the first five, perhaps Rolf, in his old age, made a mistake while emailing drafts of songs to others and sent them the same song seven times and they just rolled with it. Technology can be difficult to grasp, it is already apparent that Rolf is not very good when trying something new.

The last song, "Dracula", has a dramatic intro, a soft outro, and between them is filled with something halfway between "Shadowmaker" and that other song that appears seven times. Wouldn't want to stray from the formula, if it was much different people would probably wonder why they didn't do that for the rest of the album. Something more interesting or varied might also make it difficult to pull off a track-by-track review, but if seven of the tracks weren't the same song, I would probably have more to say about the music rather than talking about the review that I'm writing.

At no point is the music offensive nor unpleasant, but it does become painfully repetitive, and it is consistently dull. The standout track only stands out because the rest of the album is the same thing, not because it is in any way spectacular. The cover represents the album well - it is mediocre and it shows very little effort.