70’s rock inspired melodic prog metal works well - 80%

TrooperOfSteel, May 9th, 2012

As a virgin listener to melodic progressive metal band Royal Hunt, this was a review I had been anticipating for a while. Not normally a huge fan of prog metal (I do enjoy the recent Dream Theater material however), the great part about being a reviewer is that I get to hear and write reviews on bands/genres that would not normally be my first choice. That way, the reader does get a non-bias opinion from a fellow neutral-minded metalhead. In this case, we have Royal Hunt’s tenth full-length release, dubiously titled ‘X’. This review may be almost 13 months overdue (released in Jan 2010), however as the ‘ole saying goes - it is better late than never.

These Danish gents have been on the scene for quite some time, their first CD released back in 1992 and have featured well known vocalists D.C. Cooper (Silent Force) and John West (no, not the fish guy) throughout their career. Royal Hunt’s latest vocalist is Mark Boals (ex-Yngwie Malmsteen, Ring Of Fire) and ‘X’ will be Boals’ second CD with this band, starting with 2008’s ‘Paradox II- Collision Course’.

For this latest disc, keyboardist Andre Andersen and engineer Lars Overgaard (who sadly passed away in August 2010) chose to use Puk Studios for the mixing, rather than their normal Medley Studios, which Royal Hunt has used for the majority of their releases. Puk Studios is Scandinavia’s largest residential studio and has boasted many high-profile artists and bands over the years, including Judas Priest, Helloween, Satyricon, George Michael, Depeche Mode and Elton John. Royal Hunt wanted to achieve a 70’s sounding feel in the music for the CD and after going through the disc, I must proclaim that they nailed it right on the head. Not on a 70’s rock feel, but I can also hear an 80’s atmosphere as well. Add to that the majestic, wonderful and somewhat throaty tones of Mark Boals, who is an excellent vocalist and quite underrated. I can hear a faint similarity at times with Kamelot’s Roy Khan and also Motley Crue’s Vince Neil, however Boals’ voice would be a tad deeper than Khan’s.

While not a traditional melodic prog band, Royal Hunt’s sound on ‘X’ is most certainly melodic, with catchy guitar riffs and keyboard driven tunes that just seem to absorb you. The bass guitar is ferociously prominent in the tracks on the release, while the addition of additional singers in a choir style sends you spiralling back a few decades to when that style was the norm. Also included are some very nice and nifty guitar solos, nothing over the top, but straight to the point and impressive just the same. Nothing too heavy nor fast, just mid-paced and non-threatening melodic prog rock/metal, that would appeal to fans of most melodic prog rock and also 70’s juggernauts Uriah Heap and Deep Purple.

After the two minute intro “Episode X (Arrival)”, we get to one of the highlights on the CD, the rocking “End of the Line”. If this track doesn’t make your head nod or foot tap from its hypnotising opening guitar riff and beat, then this is not the music for you. With Boals’ soaring vocals and the choirs at the helm, the track glides through with effortless melodic ease and is catchy as hell. “King for a Day” brings the tempo down a notch or two, driven by flighty keyboards and hard squealing riffs, reminding me of Whitesnake back in their heyday. Boals is again the standout on this quality track. “Army of Slaves” has another catchy melody and guitar riff, reminiscent of 80’s hard rock and another top track amongst other gems on this release. This magnificent CD boasts more melodic not-notch hits such as “Back to Square One”, “Falling Down” and the beautiful and moving ballad “The Last Leaf”.

Not hearing Royal Hunt really at all until now, I didn’t know what to expect. One thing is for sure, I wasn’t expecting to be blown away by this CD, but this is exactly the case with ‘X’. The sound achieved on this disc may not necessarily be the typical and traditional sound of Royal Hunt, but I personally feel that it kicks ass. I’m almost 34, so it could be my musical upbringing of 70’s and 80’s bands which paved my way into heavy metal which makes me so fond of this style of melodic prog rock/metal. This CD may not be ground-breaking in any way, but it’s a slab of melodic greatness that is to be enjoyment in the moment, which remains memorable long after the disc has been put away. Definitely a disc worth picking up for Royal Hunt fans and also fans of melodic prog rock/metal that have heard of this band, but have not made the effort to hear them just yet. Do yourself a favour and get it while you still can, you won’t be disappointed.

Originally written for www.metalcdratings.com and www.themetalforge.com

...and now "Back to 70s" with Royal Hunt! - 90%

AndreOsokin, May 26th, 2010

If you want something in the vein of early Deep Purple, Uriah Heep or Genesis - and all this with a modern sound, you just have to buy this new Royal Hunt album, entitled X!

This is the band's tenth full-length album, and I'd say, the most experimental one. They used old synthesizers, organs, guitars, amps and even drums! Also, they've changed their usual mixing studio "Medley Studio" (where almost all albums were mixed) to legendary "Puk Studio" - a place where a lot of worldwide-famous musicians have recorded. All this to recreate that "70s atmosphere", about which the band wrote in their first studio blog entries. I think they made it work.

The influence of music of those times is also present in the songs. And the ones who have been listening to Royal Hunt for a long time already, would most likely hear some similarities with the band's early albums (surprise, surprise!). Possibly you won't "understand" this album after the first listening. People who awaited to hear something like Collision Course won't dig it at first. But after the second or third listening you're starting to understand the concept. The songs are more unpredictable now, more progressive and versatile. Mark Boals' vocals - one of the most discussed topics about RH - sounds really fantastic. I dare to say that he sounds like never before in his entire career, and it makes sure that Andre Andersen made the right choice! And of course, (already a tradition) backing vocal parts of Maria McTurk, Kenny Lubcke and RH's first singer, Henrik Brockmann sound especially cool on this record. Additional parts were sung by Michelle Raitzin (who has made an appearance on the previous album already) and Gertrud Mogelgaard. The new bass player, Andreas Passmark, showed that he is no worse than his predecessors, and it will be really interesting to see him playing live.

I must say, all of the songs have catchy melodies and each of them is good. But there really are some notable tracks: "The Well" (a highly anticipated track by the fans, I guess. Why? See their studio blog), the absolutely amazing "Shadowman", "The Last Leaf" - probably, one of the best ballads in band's history, "Falling Down" - there's only two words that may come to your mind while listening to it - "Royal" and "Hunt".

The album turned out to be very unusual, unexpected... but that only forces you to listen to it once more!

Special thanks to SCARLET RECORDS for the promotional stuff.

Royal Hunt Dials It Down - 72%

pinpals, March 5th, 2010

This is Royal Hunt’s tenth album already? It’s hard to believe, but when you think about it, the band released their first album all the way back in 1992. They should have chosen a better name than “X” though, especially since so many bands have done that before them.

This is the second album to feature former Yngwie Malmsteen singer Mark Boals. He did a fine job on their previous album and is one of several great singers that Royal Hunt has employed over the years. Their final album with D.C. Cooper, “Paradox,” was one of my favorite albums of all time. Their final album with John West, “Paper Blood,” was excellent as well. However, I hope Boals stays on for at least another album because this one is disappointing.

In the months before the album was released, frontman André Andersen stated in several interviews that the band was attempting a more 70s rock sound on this album, which excited me a bit because I love rock music from that era, despite this being different from Royal Hunt’s traditional melodic metal sound. However, the results were something more like an 80s rock sound.

The guitars are buried, aside from showing up a few times in admittedly solid solos. I admire Andersen’s restraint with the keyboards, but all of the instruments are so simplified that there’s not much to stand out besides Boals’ vocals. Boals does a fine job with the material he’s given, particularly on “End of the Line” and “The Well,” but unfortunately he cannot make this a magnificent album on his own. There are still a good amount of pleasurable songs, but nothing approaching the heights that I know this band is capable of.

“X” shows Royal Hunt breaking relatively new ground, but it sounds much different than advertised. There are still some fine moments, but overall this is somewhat disappointing. This is probably still worth hearing, it just won’t end up on my best of 2010 list any time soon.

Originally published at www.metal-temple.com