Short and sweet - 98%

Leechmaster, February 9th, 2009

I usually prefer albums to be somewhat lengthy, epic and absolutely outstanding throughout its entirety, and whilst this record is nothing short of spectacular, if it were any longer I think my ears would have melted. Yet, even though this album isn’t exactly easy on the ears, it still manages to receive countless listens for days on end. So what makes Exit so special? Well, the main reason would be its explosive extremity. I know the genre is renowned for its aggressive nature but holy shit, these guys seem exceptionally infuriated. With their teeth gritted and fists clenched, the members from Rotten Sound deliver 18 of the most pissed off grindcore tracks to date.

After listening to the opening passage of indecipherable noises you are instantaneously hit with chaotic grindcore left, right and centre. Such ferocious onslaughts of pummelling blasts and double bass, brutal riffing and monstrous bass lines all being played at extreme tempos are aplenty as well as some slower, crunchy grooves. Mika churns out these impenetrable grooves, quite literally creating a wall of noise with one of the filthiest, crustiest, dirtiest guitar tones that will ever contaminate your ears. How Rotten Sound are able to achieve that ever so distinctive guitar sound will continue to remain a mystery for me, but all I know is that it’s filthy and I like it.

Keijo’s vocal performance is quite literally inhumane, as he must of “sold his soul” to the devil himself to attain such an obliterating voice. Ranging from sickening guttural growls to bellowing mid-range grunts to devastating shrieks and everywhere in between, this guy is just pure fucking evil. Now, even though the majority of the vocals are indecipherable to some extent they still remain very catchy, specifically some vocal passages in “V.S.A.” and “Nation.” These, along with the gang vocals used in the outro of “Sell Your Soul” where Finland’s own demon children are belting out “SELL YOUR SOUL AND DIE ALONE!” in unison together are just a level above awesome. Speaking of awesome, Toni’s immensely distorted bass lines plough you even further into the ground with another massive wall of sound as well as providing plenty of head-banging opportunities.

The drumming is excellent and by excellent, I mean perfect. It’s just flawless in every way imaginable. His blast beats are completely annihilating and his precision and stamina is equally impressive. You might think that after hearing the same snare drum being smacked profusely for almost half an hour you’d get sick of it, but no you don’t. From the first cracking strike to the last, they are all incredibly remarkable. The same principle applies for Kai’s devastating feet of fury, with every single stroke just sounding overwhelmingly destructive, whether it be the machine-gun triplets in “Burden” or intricate, syncopated patterns in “Soil.” He also incorporates catchy half time grooves into the down-tempo passages and makes excellent use of the splash and china cymbals as well as the toms during these sections. Another component of Hahto’s drumming making him so incredible is his ability to maintain such groove to it despite the break-neck tempos of the songs. On top of this, not once does his drumming even begin to seem repetitive or boring either and remains solid, refined, and plain flawless throughout the albums entirety. These mind blowing skills combined with the drums extremely clean production yet again increase the album’s overall incredibility.

This album is a must have for fans of metal in its most extreme form. Grindcore doesn’t get any better than this.