Rotten Sound - Cycles - 80%

Avestriel, January 3rd, 2008

After the release of Consume to Contaminate, I was worried about the future of Rotten Sound. That EP was just not something you would expect after such a masterpice like Exit. It was heavier, the sound was a little uncomfortable and the mix was sort of weird. So my hopes on Cycles weren't really high.

Boy was I in for a treat.

The first song got me really worried. Lasting almost two minutes, the first half has a very heavy melody, which made me think this would be the pace of this whole album. But somewhat half the way through the song, it turned into the Rotten Sound I fell in love with.

The songs still retain that extreme and chaotic but paradoxically melodic and simply organic aura Rotten Sound managed to develop in Murderworks and improved in Exit. However this album has a new feeling in it. It's darker, it's more insane, and being Rotten Sound, that's saying something.

I was worried about the new drummer, but even though I don't think any drummer can compare themselves with Kai, this fellow Latva did not let me down in (almost) any way. His drumming is not as technical (that's why "almost"), but it's damn fast most of the time, and knows how and when to add a little detail here and then to make a very entertaining drumming. They should have recorded the drumming a little higher in the mix.

The guitars are not as drowned as in the Consume to Contaminate EP, which is a relief, but are considerably more thick than in the Exit album. Melody wise it's basically the same Rotten Sound that it has been for a few years of superb Grind, but they do tend to be more precise, more easy to follow, I hope you get what I mean.

Although there are more heavy/slow moments in this album than in the previous Full Lenght, it doesn't really interrupt the natural fast flow of the album, so it's not a problem or a pain in the ass at any time (Although the general tempo of the whole album IS a tad slower than previous works).

Vocals have gotten thicker and I don't hear that high pitched scream contrasting with the regular vocals, which is kind of a shame, but gives the album a new darker feeling, or at least that's how I felt it.

All in all I am in no way disappointed with this album, which could easilly be my third favourite, after Exit and Murderworks. Or maybe it's a tie between the last two. Yeah, probably that's it.