More quality power metal - 92%

The_Boss, April 3rd, 2008

Roger Staffelbach obviously some sort of well-known and affluent man in the power metal scene has put together several highly talented musicians for a project named with his name in the front as “Angel of Eden”. Member’s range from Bruce Dickinson to Evidence One, where both bands sound nothing like this; this is raging power metal as flashy, epic and boisterous as it gets. It seems he’s almost trying to top Tobi and his Avantasia project but while he’s obviously got the talent required, Roger and Angel of Eden seem to stay out of the spotlight and aren’t well known and I only have one thing to say about that and that’s a damn shame.

Angel of Eden are power metal with flowing keyboards a la Rhaposdy, epic orchestrations and structures like the ones found in Avantasia or Edguy all mixed with stereotypical power metal elements that make it what I love about the genre. Roger Staffelbach plays the guitars and does a great job here, plenty of shredding and plenty of awesome leads that work absolutely perfect with the excellent keyboard compositions. It’s great to find the few bands that have a great power metal sound complimented with awesome neo-classical keyboards and don’t overuse it or abuse it – here it works in great harmony creating a sound that is superior than many power metal/neo-classical bands out there. Staffelbach’s guitar tone is nice and clear, semi-crunchy but the production here is very crisp which I think is needed for epic power metal. The drumming is to be expected of power metal, nonstop barrage of double bass and such with much variation as to how keep tempo and things in ballads, mid tempo and slower parts etc. Into the Black displays his talent the best with hyper fast double bass as well as a sweet intro!

The highlight other than the Staffelbach and his lead guitar presence is Carsten Schulz handling vocals; this guy is the quintessential power metal singer, very powerful range and takes it a step more adding much emotion and care hitting each high note like Tobias Sammet or belting out rapid passages like Rick Altzi. Having a similar effect as Blind Guardian or other famous bands with having layered vocals works here but isn’t overdone, especially with the choirs and backup vocals making this great power metal sound.

The first three songs are awesome power metal; the choruses are so catchy and addictive with the sweet guitar solos and keyboards reminding me of mixtures of bands like At Vance, Adagio, Blind Guardian and Rhapsody. I dare you to resist not singing along with the chorus in The End of Never! Once Return of the Pharaoh (Part I) rolls up it takes a progressive turn and reminds me of something Symphony X would do; it’s an instrumental that reminds me of The Death of Balance/Lacrymosa with epic orchestrations overlapping some wicked fast guitar playing. The Battle of 1386 continues with a semi-proggy epic opening and guitar opening and turns out to be one of the most epic songs on here.

Giving Rhapsody and Fairyland a run for its money Angel of Eden accomplishes what I think few others can do; create epic and flashy power metal with much orchestration and highly symphonic in nature and still be interesting. Bands like Freedom Call, Vision Divine and a few others lack this and become second tier and bland while Angel of Eden deserves to be recognized with this top tier performance. The End of Never is full of awesome power metal with some progressive and neo-classical influences that make for something that I think is quite unique. Better than your average power metal band, Roger Staffelbach shines with impressive lead guitar work and solos that shred your ears to pieces as well as fancy keyboard segments and background parts that are more than just there; they create an atmosphere of a sort of Baroque or Medieval atmosphere that left me wanting more. Highly contagious and addictive power metal is exactly what The End of Never is with an awesome display of influence that deserves to be much more recognized. There is not a single downer on this album; every song is entertaining and enjoyable with no filler. For fans of Avantasia, Epidemia, Rhapsosdy, Fairyland and anyone enjoying awesome epic, symphonic, speed, ballsy power/neo-classical/progressive metal!