Lord of the Rings epic folk... What? - 88%

Kanwvlf, July 24th, 2004

That's exactly what I thought when I first looked up this band, but being as curious as I am, I decided to pick up this CD. Boy, was I not disappointed, this really is amazing. The songs on this album are incredibly catchy, and you will have them stuck in your head for a long time.

At first, it took a while to get used to the harsh vocals with such beautifully performed music, but now they seem very fitting, and they only seem to come now and again when the music gets heavy and the riffing gets powerful.

There really isn't a bad track on this album, as they're all really catchy, and they all definately go somewhere, especially the epic Misty Mountains, clocking in at just over eleven minutes. Some of the songs have an Arabic/nomadic sound to them, such as Dragon's Lair with it's introduction, and underlying melody, despite heavy riffing over the top. The Fall Of Finrod is a ballad-like song, and sets a rather depressing mood for the listener, but is a perfectly played, beautiful song.

Of course, I've never seen any lyrics released for this album, which is a shame, as I'd love to see what's being said in the lyrics sometimes when I fail to understand them because of the accent, and the way they're performed. Although, this doesn't take away from the overall performance, as the music is designed around the catchy melodies and performance of the instruments, and the vocals are just there as another instrument.

I suggest anyone to get this album, as it really is that good. If you're a fan of any type of metal music, I can imagine this getting a lot of play time.