A classic EP from a very innovative band. - 95%

ozzeh, March 9th, 2007

Rigor Mortis helped to pioneer the death and thrash metal scenes respectively. Their first album was a classic and "Freaks" only refines that sound. The production on "Freaks" is excellent, every instrument can be heard perfectly. The vocals are also captured brilliantly in the mix. The guitar playing of Mike Scaccia here would probably be damn near impossible to ever recreate.

As with all of Rigor Mortis's lyrics, the lyrics on "Freaks" are very off the wall. While their first album was obsessed with comic book themes and visualizations of gore, "Freaks" has a bit more diversity in the lyrics. As a whole, I feel that the lyrics are about alienation and feeling like an outcast in a society you simply can't fit in with. Simply put, the lyrics are excellent on the whole EP. They do revisit their gore theme in the song "Cattle Mutilation" though.

I really can't say anything bad about the drumming, Rigor Mortis have always had a solid drummer. Harden Harrison always does an awesome job keeping up with Scaccia's insane lead work. The bass is audible, and with the drums they form a solid backbone for Scaccia to twist the scales of musical expectations at will.

"The Haunted" has absolutely incredible guitar leads throughout the whole song and the chorus is especially memorable as well. The drumming on this song is also great. All of the songs flow in succession to form a very disturbing concept album from hell of sorts.

"Six Feet Under / Worms of the Earth" is probably my favorite Rigor Mortis song ever. It is one ten minute song with two parts, the second of which is an incredible instrumental. The first half of the song starts off with absolutely brilliant guitar wizardry. So after 3:30 the vocals begin to come into play. Scaccia never lets up for one second on this fucking song. The chorus "Worms of the EARTH!" is awesome. The guitar playing on this EP cannot be commended enough. The musicianship this band exhibits on this album never gets old to me and it's always excellent to listen to "Freaks" from start to finish. The last stanza of this song is my favorite as Scaccia changes the lead work up considerably from the riffs of the previous stanzas and it just sounds really fitting with the vocals. At 7:30, some of the best guitar playing I have ever heard in my life comes in to finish the song off.

"Chained in the Attic" finishes the album off. This song revisits the theme of the first song "Freaks" and is probably the fastest song on the this album. "Chained in the Attic" is the climax of the album and at this point, the narrative voice has gone from questioning to society to just being fucking pissed off and about to burst at the seams. A very good song to end a classic death/thrash EP.