Sentimental Death Metal Memories - 95%

ddwookie, July 17th, 2005

This one has a lot of sentimental value for me as it was the first cd I ever bought, and I still have it, original jewel case, no broken spokes or anything, although I'm afraid the long box has been lost to the ages. Anyway, 25 minutes give or take of some of the most gut wrenchingly powerful death thrash that still holds up today can be found on this release. Wicked, insanely fast riffery from Mike Scaccia who would later move onto Ministry(who would under appreciate his ability), flawless played speed bass from Casey Orr, pummeling drums from Harden Harrison, who like Chuck Biscuits, never utilized the waterfall of double kick drumming that so came to characterize the genre. The vocals of Doyle Bright are truly tortured sounding as well, although I have to say that I prefer Bruce Corbitt's vocals a little more, as he put more enunciation into his screaming. Stand out tracks for me are 'The Haunted,' and 'Six Feet Under/Worms of the Earth.' The lyrics are pure nightmare inspiring, especially on 'The Haunted,' where it says "Prey that you won't meet the haunted tonight..." and then demonically bellows "You WIll!" Yep, great times back in the day. I'm a month away from turning 31 and have such disdain for 99% of what passes for 'metal' these days. If only newer bands would look into the past and realize that actual mastery of an instrument is more important than the fashion trend fatality bands we're stuck with today.