UNF RGH DUR GRUGH NGH - 86%

MutantClannfear, June 22nd, 2013

I think I just might have finally found it: the dumbest slam death metal album to ever exist. Yeah, there's Artery Eruption to take into account, but at the very least this album serves as a suitable rival to stuff like Gouging Out Eyes of Mutilated Infants. That Culinary Buffet of Hacked Innards just so happens to be Japanese (and is accordingly really, really good) is just icing on top of the cake.

There's honestly nothing particularly unique about Rest in Gore's actual music, it's just executed really, really solidly all-around. While I'm not exactly sure I'd say there's a hard-set regional scene for brutal death metal in Japan, the slam bands I've heard from there have all been distinctly upbeat and danceable - Jenovavirus are arguably one of the most famous examples, and probably execute the concept the best, but this album isn't any exception. The slams are ridiculously stupid and simple, typically devoid of pinch harmonics or any other sort of flair, but they're pretty high-tempo and are loaded with a heaping helping of groove that's far above the average for BDM. Rest in Gore aren't exactly what I'd call a slam-focused band, though, as they also use a lot of catchy mid-paced blast beats and gravity blasts which are just as potent at bringin' the $ickness or whatever. The music flows exceptionally well, and while not all of the actual slams are particularly memorable (I mostly only remember the slams as rhythms instead of melodies), they're fun as fuck while they're playing.

So yeah, the compositions are mostly just great-as-usual Japanese brutal death metal, but where Culinary Buffet of Hacked Innards really individualizes itself is in the trashiness of its overall performance. The guitar tone's pretty out there merely because of how fat and bottom-heavy it is - it's almost like a big block of bass with some crud and imperfections on the top. Most of Rest in Gore's melody comes from what little "crunchiness" is present in their guitar tone, so the music doesn't really carry that sort of crushing momentum that a band like, say, Gorevent possess. This is music that's much better for dancing and groove than raw brutality. The individual instrumental tracks all feel really disjointed, but somehow this works to the band's advantage - the constantly unstable feeling to the band's music is actually really charming.

Between the mix and the actual notes being played by the guitars, this album understandably sounds really fucking dumb. While a band like Neoandertals probably capture a "prehistoric" sound more accurately, Rest in Gore are probably the closest to the sort of romping, single-minded, flesh-tearing, grunting stuff that I associate with the lifestyle of a caveman. The vocals really don't help there in that they literally sound like your stereotypical Cro-Magnon attempting to communicate with researchers after having been thawed from ice. Maybe with a bit more of a "I'm being punched in the gut" sound than that would imply. It's just invariably retarded-sounding, okay, and I'm in love with it.

I guess there really isn't much to say about Culinary Buffet of Hacked Innards, but there's only so many ways that I can tell you that it's good, it's catchy, and it's fucking pea-brained before I start repeating myself. All you really need to know is that if this music were composed to be any stupider, the band members would probably become vegetables while trying to play it. If you like the sound of that and you also like death metal, you need to hear this.