Shotgun Justice - 100%

dyingseraph84, May 25th, 2010

This was my introduction to the thrash titans known as Razor. That being said my opinions may come across as a little biased towards this album, but trust me when I say that this album is really fucking good! I can’t think of any other album that personifies the genre of thrash metal as well as this one. Every song is filled with aggression, speed, and attitude, this album rarely lets you take a breather and basically has it’s foot planted firmly on your throat the whole way through.

The riffs on display here resemble Slayer and Motorhead with some punk thrown in. Like I said thrash!, and the songs are kept short and to the point, the band never really strays from the verse/chorus/verse structure. Dave Carlo’s guitar work is impressive his riffs are fast and violent. The only weak point with the guitars is sometimes the solos run into each other, and honestly they feel thrown together.

Any trace of fantasy styled lyrics from the old days are thrown away in favor of even more socially conscious lyrics. Topics range from gun control, (Miami) to the self destruction of the metal scene, (stabbed in the back) and getting even with people (shotgun justice). I personally love Bob Reid’s voice, it fits this style so well. Bob has a much more raspy almost hardcore like tone to his voice than what Stace had, and I for one think Bob Reid’s voice is better suited for Razor’s brand of violent thrash.

Rob Mills is behind the drum kit and he never stops, his endurance is stunning! Rob plays at pretty much the same tempo the entire album and his double bass work and fills are very tastefully played. Adam Carlo’s bass thumps away in the background, thanks to the mix you wouldn't really know he was there except only to pop out at the beginning of American Luck. The production is okay, the levels could have been turned up more and the bass should be louder too.

Razor albums are hard to come by these days, with the Bob Reid era albums being next to impossible to track down. If you do see this for sale though do not hesitate to pick it up. Minor gripes aside, this along with Beneath the Remains are two of the best the genre of thrash has to offer.