Shotgun Justice - 95%

Louismat, February 8th, 2008

Shotgun Justice, released in 1990, is an album I consider a renewal for this band in a time where almost every thrash metal acts were going down the flusher, trying to please the mainstream crowd and the record companies.
Razor though, decided to go against the grain, and release their most violent, abrasive, fast and pissed-off record to date!

With the addition of new vocalist, Bob Reid, Dave Carlo took the occasion to push Razor further. Reid's vocal style was quite fitting for the lyrics of the song.

Starting off the album with the song Miami, the listener already knows where this whole album is going. It is one of my favorites on the album. The riffs are crushing, the lyrics are sung fast, the boys from Razor give you no break here.

Then comes United By Hatred, another crusher! Followed by the very good Violence Condoned, which is a song about an incident which happened in Ontario during the Violent Restitution tour. The band had got to a venue, where the boss told the band they wouldn't get their paycheck for the show. So the boys packed their stuff and left, causing a total riot. The fans destroyed everything. Dave Carlo and Rob Mills claim this to be a true story.
Don't fuck with Razor, even less with Razor fans!

Stabbed in the Back, is totally M.E.T.A.L.! It's exactly the way all metal should have been in the 90's. The lyrics are about Carlo's feeling about the current metal scene, and how he feels "stabbed in the back" by all his old metal buddies.

"The metal scene has gone to piss, Boneheads lead the way,
Playing fast because It's in, And then they go away"

"All the bands I used to like are going down the drain
What the hell has happened here, have they gone insane?"

The next track is the title track. There was even a video shot for this one. (Which was banned shorty after its release) The song starts with a slow, convincing riff, then when you least expect it, BANG. An assault of terrific riffage comes ripping and hits you in the head. This one is probably the fastest on the album, and also my favourite. If you haven't heard this yet, you ought to check this out, right now!

This is a near perfect album, from a near perfect band, who never got the recognition they deserved. The only downside to this one is the production, which could be clearer. But I can get over that easily considering the top notch quality of the songs. I give this album a well deserved 95/100.

Fans of Razor, or thrash metal in general, go out and try to find this album, you won't regret it. Promise.