Yours is but to do or die! - 94%

Danthrax_Nasty, November 15th, 2004

Looking back over the fine catalogue this band has managed to release, a few elements seem to jump out as quite characteristic overall, and mainly those elements in their sound, or general attributes really, are a knack for presenting highly energetic rythms, led by wailing leads, and fist raising lyrics (some of which are very humorously original), a thrashy-heavy-traditional rocking metal sound, and just presenting an overall image, and feel of youth, Metal, partying, fighting, sexuality, etc. . Now listed as such, it really isnt conveyed in the same intensity as the songs themselves, but ahh I tried.

I really think this record is a classic release by a famed (and killer) band, and as such represents a good platform of their sound for say, an interested person, to check this out, and get an idea of what the awesomness of Raven truely sounds like. The chorus' are catchy as hell, the leads, and guitar runs are just all over the place, and done exceptionally well, the vocals seem genre epitomizing (high wails, powerfull notes, great vocal arrangements, etc.), and an endless list of why this rules you.

I think further elaboration is in order, and I'll begin with one word, "tight". I mean everything is played perfectly, and in my opinion there isnt a bad, or boring rythm on here. The drums hold the beat through out, and have some cool fills,...not a whole lot to mention here, but if drums are done right you wont have any complaints (as I have none here). The guitar tone, rythm, and lead melodies are very rememborable, and carry that 80's feel in a way thats almost saddening to compare to bands of this genre today. Lots of riffs all over the place done in a verse, bridge, chorus type structure, but with lots of hooks, and randomness to satisfy your mental cravings for guitar virtuosity (the bass also done just as well). Oh, and again...the guitar sound, fucking awesome.

The production is top notch analogue all the way. I'd suffice to say that you couldnt get much of a better production qaulity under any reasoning (and this was recorded in '86), except for one small spot where the short-comings of said medium of sound recording showed its ugly face, but that totally could have been the dude who mixed its fault (but we wont talk about that haha). Overall two metal horns raised, and not one complaint here, but I'm a total fan, and cant find fault in many of their albums so take what you will.

Pick of the crop:
Do Or Die, and Seen It On The T.V.