A Furious, Sincere Hymn from a Poor Land - 80%

CHRISTI_NS_ANITY8, December 9th, 2008

To describe a hardcore/punk live album is quite tough. You know that the style itself is already quite chaotic on the studio albums, so try to imagine a live one. This split live album is made by/of two famous bands in the Brazilian underground, Cólera e Ratos De Porão. They are not technical at all, both of them; they are dirty, angry and merciless. So, do not expect a polished sound and a clear exhibition because the main word is “speed” and the violence comes directly after.

The first part of this split is for Ratos De Porão and their angry crossover. Let’s start with “Anos 80” and its intro. It’s like a cinema intro and immediately after the massacre is unleashed. The punkish up tempo parts are relentless and the riffs are brutal, childish and continued. The vocals are far higher in volumes than the instruments and they are screamed, angry. The snare drum is audible and generally the production is not that bad because it’s not that chaotic, even if we cannot talk about a professional recording.

The riffs are often on open chords and the few palm muting parts can be found in “Morrer” for example. The style always remains the same among these brutal and punkish composition, so always fast. The typical punk choirs by more that just one voice is here to stay and to add brutality, helping the listener in recognizing at least the refrain. The crowd seems to enjoy their music a lot and I can only imagine the mosh pit massacre against the stage. Cult songs like “Agressão/Repressão” and “Crucificados Pelo Sistema” are here to invade to concert hall with all their violence.
The few guitars solos are just essential and really simple in style. As always, forget about the technique and the polished style. Here it’s all about the punk speed.

The Cólera side opens with an intro and the immediate fury of the instruments. The bass is pulsing and the sounds are not bad. The tempo in “1.9.9.2” is not excessively fast and there are a lot of stop and go but soon the punk elements grow stronger and the speed increases. The vocals are far different from the ones by Ratos De Porão because they are cleaner and more canonical in punk. Also the riffage is generally less impulsive and less brutal. Here we can really notice the differences between the two bands. Cólera’s songs are more easy-listening and more accessible for those who like punk.

The choirs are always present by the refrains and the riffs are simple and direct. Also the guitars’ distortion is less direct. If I have to choose one song I’d say “Duas Ogivas” for the easily recognizable “melodies” and the screamed refrain. The singer interacts perfectly with the crowd and the social problems are always the main theme in order to let the rage grow and come out in form of music and words. I really like this will to display all the difficulties of a poor and abused land. They are very important social problems and once again the musicians here involved remind them us.

All in all, this is a quite good split album if you like punk/crossover. Don’t expect too much in style and technique but expect a lot of passion and will to emerge from the poverty and let emerge truly important social problems.