The Worst of a Mediocre effort. - 55%

hells_unicorn, December 19th, 2007

Unfortunately Quiet Riot’s buffoonery in the later 80s did not end with the exodus of Kevin Dubrow as they elected to release the two worst songs off their self-titled album as a single. If you can picture an extremely generic homage to Deep Purple’s reunion material in 1984 with a strong dose of Winger influences and way too much jazzy vocal ad lib by Shortino then you have a pretty accurate picture of “Stay with me Tonight”. The only redeeming aspect of this album is about 30 seconds of inspired lead guitar work, but nothing that can salvage this train wreck of a radio single.

“Calling the Shots” is a little better, but lyrically is the same story, some big haired guy ranting on about the needless details of his relationship. It has a pretty good Zepplin-like main riff and more solid Brian May lead guitar worship, but doesn’t shack up to more exceptional main riffs in this style like Malmsteen’s “Bedroom Eyes” or “ I Don’t Know”. In my opinion if the band had re-arranged the track ordering, putting “Lunar Obsession” as the opener and “In a Rush” as the closer and simply dropped these two songs the album would have been worth an additional 15 points.

I can’t really think of any logical reason to pick up this single other than being a Quiet Riot completist, which I’ve never heard of and don’t plan on becoming myself when it comes to stuff like this in their back catalog. Simply treat it as a further explanation of why Quiet Riot’s 1988 self-title album only receive a mediocre score despite some strong positives in the overall sound.