Bang Your Head!!!! - 95%

elfo19, April 23rd, 2008

Please excuse the title, I couldn't resist.

Quiet Riot, a band which I have recently gotten into (I was aware of them for a while but just recently decided to pick up their records) have a great record here. It's a very consistent hard rock album with plenty of good juicy songs and head banging fun.

Once you hear songs other than "Metal Health" and "Cum On Feel The Noize" you start to hear whole different sides of the band. "Don't Wanna Let You Go" is a laid-back light-picking song, absent are heavy riffs or screams, and "Thunderbird" is a ballad, also one of my favorites on the album. As I said, it's consistent, proving the band can dish out a batch of songs with no filler. I don't know how much that means to you, but to me it means a lot. Consider this, "Number Of The Beast" had filler ("Gangland") and "Paranoid" ("Planet Caravan"). While you ponder that, let me continue.

"Slick Black Cadillac" is a very catchy hard rock song, once again great. There's even a little gem called "Battle Axe". Even though it only runs for a little over a minute it's a fine guitar solo. Sure, the album isn't perfect, hence the 95, but it is a great succesful metal album, full of ACDC-like choruses and hard riffs.

I find this album a good time to write on my views of early metal bands. These guys (along with bands like ACDC, and Black Sabbath) founded metal. The earliest metal albums were dished out by these guys. Quiet Riot even developed the idea of a signature costume (metal mask and strait jacket) that many bands (Lordi, GWAR, and Slipknot to name several) would use in the future. Saying that, I am outraged by people who compare bands from completely different times. You can not compare Black Sabbath and Lordi, or Quiet Riot and Dragonforce. I hear people say stuff like "Dragonforce is better than Iron Maiden because their guitarist can play faster than their guitarist". Consider this, bands like Quiet Riot, Black Sabbath, and Iron Maiden, had very different things to listen to when they developed their groups, unlike newer bands who have decades of metal to listen to. For that bands like Quiet Riot deserve a hell of a lot of credit because they fuckin invented metal!

With that of my chest I can wrap this thing up. Quiet Riot-Metal Health is a great early metal album full of hard riffs, and head banging. How about you pop it in and relive how it all began, the days when metal was invented, then how about you thank these guys for how much they contributed. Without them, there wouldn't be an Encyclopedia Metallum. Bang your head, rock on, up the irons and do whatever else it takes!!!