Solid Start - 90%

JSavage, January 10th, 2012

Queensryche is a band that I have a love/hate relationship with. Although I hate their more recent releases, I am a big fan of their '80s work. In my opinion, their self-titled debut ep is one of their finest works (the only better being Operation: Mindcrime). The production here is better than on most debuts and is good enough to allow the songs to stand with the classic material that later made them famous.

The ep starts off with a bang of a classic song, Queen Of The Reich. From the opening riffs you know that this one is going to be a great. Everything comes together on this song: the solid drumming, the great riffage, and Geoff Tate's soaring vocals. The other perfect track on this release is the closer, The Lady Wore Black. It was this song that a friend used to introduce me to Queensryche. This song is perfect in every single way and every time I hear it the hairs stand up on the back of my neck.

If you are a fan of traditional heavy metal (Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, etc.), I would strongly suggest searching for it. It may be a little hard to find, but the search will be worth it.