Ya blew it! - 0%

RacoCooper, July 5th, 2012

I never thought Queensryche, progressive metal veterans, would ever release an album with literally no merit at all. Outside of great albums like Operation: Mindcrime and Rage for Order, I never really paid much attention to their albums into the 1990s and 2000s, though I did hear that there was a huge drop in quality on those albums, especially the ones released into the 2000s. But when I heard about all of the negative buzz surrounding 2011's Dedicated to Chaos, I had to give it a listen myself out of morbid curiosity. I must say, I was mortified to find out just how bad this album is.

So, just what is wrong with this album?

Firstly, there are no traces of metal on this album and I honestly don't think there are any progressive elements either. Not having metal influences isn't always a bad thing, but in this case it is, considering Queensryche were one of the pioneering progressive metal bands in the 1980s. A lot of the songs are nothing but soulless rock music with rambling vocals from singer Geoff Tate. Speaking of the vocals, the lyrics are terrible too. They mostly consist of cliches and pointless complaining about modern technology, case in point the lyrics for Hot Spot Junkie and Retail Therapy. Other times the lyrics are just weird, and not in a good way. Many of the tracks just meander and go nowhere, like Drive. All of these horrible songs culminate with Wot We Do. This was actually the first song I heard from the album when it came out last year and my jaw literally dropped to the floor when I heard this atrocious track. I couldn’t believe this horrid song was from the same band that made Operation: Mindcrime. I don't really know how to describe it. It's like a mix of hip hop and R&B with some jazzy undertones. This may have been suitable for a Geoff Tate solo album or something, but it does not belong on a Queensryche album. Though the track is only 3 minutes, 46 seconds long, it feels at least ten times as long, making for a very painful listening experience. The album mercifully ends with two more mediocre tracks, The Lie and Big Noize. Yes the last track is actually spelled like that. And both suck as much as every other song on this album and like their brethren, they go absolutely nowhere.

Avoid this album at all costs. This may be the worst album from a metal band that I have ever had the misfortune of listening to. There was literally nothing enjoyable about this album at all. Not a single track stands out. And it's sort of scary that a band like Queensryche, who used to be so great could fall this far and put out such a crap album. The album is about as flat, uninspired and boring as Queensryche's current live performances. Not to mention that at times, it's just completely embarrassing, case in point, the song Wot We Do. And it's way too long, at least the edition I got, being the deluxe version.

Queensryche, ya blew it! You made a terrible album, actually one of the worst albums I've ever heard from a metal band.