D+ - 68%

Benevolentbob, June 18th, 2009

We have Psycroptic's debut here, and it's unfortunate for me to say that it's mostly disappointing. The lack of clarity from the lousy production really hurts this already lacking release, especially because it's so focused on being technical. It really makes them sound like a garage band.

The vocals are pretty varied, focusing mainly on two different octaves. One is the traditional low pitched death metal style and the second one is a more high pitched shriek that I much prefer to the basic and almost forced sounding traditional growls. The vocals do unfortunately have their special moments. I like to call these moments "metalcore moments" in which the vocalist just sounds like a teenager yelling at the top of his lungs because his parents obviously don't understand him since they didn't buy him those $500 designer emo pants.

Overall the musicians in the band are simply competent for the genre, but nothing special. The drummer is pretty solid, but most other drummers in the genre are a fair amount faster. Also, I don't know if it's the production or just the way he decided to tune his drums but it sounds like he's banging away on tin cans.

The guitarwork is again solid but nothing special. It's surprisingly simple for technical death metal, which is a rather unfortunate surprise. To be honest most of it just sounds like barely enough to get the song to sound complete. On top of this the bass guitar is essentially inaudible, an unfortunately common plague among these bands.

My top songs are "Psycroptipath", "Of Dull Eyes Borne", and "The Isle Of Disenchantment". This album is just not all that great. I don't know if I would even say it shows much potential. It's a passable release, but certainly nothing more than that.