D+ - 68%

Benevolentbob, June 18th, 2009

We have Psycroptic's debut here, and it's unfortunate for me to say that it's mostly disappointing. The lack of clarity from the lousy production really hurts this already lacking release, especially because it's so focused on being technical. It really makes them sound like a garage band.

The vocals are pretty varied, focusing mainly on two different octaves. One is the traditional low pitched death metal style and the second one is a more high pitched shriek that I much prefer to the basic and almost forced sounding traditional growls. The vocals do unfortunately have their special moments. I like to call these moments "metalcore moments" in which the vocalist just sounds like a teenager yelling at the top of his lungs because his parents obviously don't understand him since they didn't buy him those $500 designer emo pants.

Overall the musicians in the band are simply competent for the genre, but nothing special. The drummer is pretty solid, but most other drummers in the genre are a fair amount faster. Also, I don't know if it's the production or just the way he decided to tune his drums but it sounds like he's banging away on tin cans.

The guitarwork is again solid but nothing special. It's surprisingly simple for technical death metal, which is a rather unfortunate surprise. To be honest most of it just sounds like barely enough to get the song to sound complete. On top of this the bass guitar is essentially inaudible, an unfortunately common plague among these bands.

My top songs are "Psycroptipath", "Of Dull Eyes Borne", and "The Isle Of Disenchantment". This album is just not all that great. I don't know if I would even say it shows much potential. It's a passable release, but certainly nothing more than that.

Sweet technical death metal - 88%

MorbidAtheist666, December 1st, 2005

Psycroptic's first album is pretty decent. The production on this album is suberb. All of the songs are very fast and there's not one dud to be found on The Isle of Disenchantment.

The vocals are unique. Nobody else sounds like Matthew 'Chalky' Chalk. The one thing that people may not like about Psycroptic is the vocals. Aggression is the best word to describe his vocals. He switches vocal styles. He goes from sounding low to raspy and then raspy to low. It took me a while to stomach the vocals and now I really dig them. I really don't like his vocals at the beginning of The Sword of Uncreation, it sounds like shit. They start to get better as the song goes on. His best vocal performances are on of Dull Eyes Borne, The Labyrinth, and Beneath the Ground We Dwell. Too bad he was booted out of the band. I wonder if the next vocalist is going to be just as good as him or better.

The guitars and bass guitar sound great on here. I really like the riffs on Carnival of Vulgarity, Condemned By Discontent, and Beneath the Ground We Dwell. I really like the fact they all sound technical and fast. As for the bass, it is clear on just about all of the songs. So you can play this in your car with the bass all the way up and your car will shake. You can really hear the boom of the bass on this album. This depends on how you set the EQ on your stereo or on your computer's music player. The bass intro on Psycroptipath is awesome. The bass is very clear on this song, especially the first 23 seconds of the song.

The drumming is tight. I'm really liking the cymbals that David Haley has on here. He uses them well on Psycroptipath, Netherworld Reality, and Carnival Of Vulgarity. I'm sure he has a killer drum set. He is an excellent technical drummer. I would rank him up there highly with Flo Mounier, Vader's Doc (R.I.P.), and other drummers in the death metal realm that I can think of right now.

I would suggest this to anyone who likes technical and straight forward death metal to get this album. It's not really essential, but I'm sure a lot of death metal fans will be pleased with this. This is an excellent debut album.

PSYCROPTIC - The Isle Of Disenchantment - 85%

Skyklad, July 20th, 2002

PSYCROPTIC - The Isle Of Disenchantment (self released~2000)
These Aussies provide a wiring scematic designed by despair and fuelled by angst. Place that neatly into a machine of brutal Death Metal and prepare to enter their chaotic world where you will be held for a duration of time long enough to be thoroughly pummelled into submission. The vocals are vicious and aggressive with low, vomitous style at some times and other times they roll forth in raspy growls. This interplay between vocal styles and the fast paced, almost chaotic at times, crunchy guitarwork provide the right setting for disenchantment. Decent Death Metal.
-Cheryl