A Four Year Slumber's Fruition - 80%

Nihilistic Rust, March 6th, 2012

Before you read anything, know that this is the first Psycroptic album I've thoroughly listened to, and that technical death metal isn't my favorite sub-sub-genre. With that said, I think that Psycroptic's recent offering is some of the best technical death metal I've ever listened to, even though that doesn't say much. Catchy hooks, fast-paced drumming and diverse and melodic riffs, that together, still manage to craft a formidable beast. From what I understand, most people prefer the first vocalist over this one, but I don't know how he sounds, so I'm assuming he was amazing, since this vocalist is brutal and apt in his deliverance. Jason Peppiatt is as good as almost any other death metal vocalist out there, and probably even better. Nevertheless, he does have some weak moments, but they're quite rare anyway.

"The Inherited Repression" is a somewhat groovier and thrashier album than what I've expected when I got it. The guitars are pretty clear and thus allow lucidity and fidelity when they shred into a squall of notes, and the clarity shines in songs like "Carriers of the Plague," where a technical riff in the first minute bursts out and portends what the next forty minutes will be like, a groovy fest of technical riffs with some breakdowns here and there that do nothing but actually augment and enhance the style Psycroptic aims here for. The bass here is audible and doesn't just follow the guitars like a a stray dog you've just fed, but definitely glues everything together in elaborate and complex sections on most of the tracks. The drumming here truly portrays the drummer's skills, with fast and heavy rhythms, with small things that tint it like some occasional cymbals, and notes that are more felt than heard. What definitely shines in the limelight is the sweeping melodies that from time to time break into harmonic flurries. It's never too much; Psycroptic doesn't overload with anything but manages to adjust everything in exactly the right moments, without being too technical, groovy, melodic, and so forth. They perfectly combine everything. The weakest part on the ablum is definitely the vocals. While they undoubtedly fit with the music and are great in their deliverance, they're not very unique, and sometimes they feel like they try to mimic other technical death vocalists. Nevertheless, they do their job right.

To sum this album up, this album is probably the best technical death album I've heard up to now, which doesn't say much because I'm not a big fan of it, but it still manages to be great. It's good at its worst, and it's amazing at its best. These components together craft a true technical death metal, that isn't just about being technical as fuck with no memorability, catchiness, and whatnot, but an album you can headbang to.