Be Ob(Servant) of This Calculated Effort - 100%

serial_killer_miller, November 4th, 2008

I will be the first to admit it took me a long time to get into Psycroptic. It semeed to me that they had a lot of unecessary vocal styles on their previous albums and I just could not get past them in order to enjoy the music. Call me cynical if you must, but being a death metal vocalist myself I have alawys lived by one principle. If you can growl and make it audible than it is just that much more brutal. I noticed instances of that principle on Psycroptic's previous release Symbols of Failure so I waited with high expectations for Psycroptic's next album and it absolutley exceeded what I was expecting.

When I first heard this album I will admit that I was not very fond of it, yes I understand this sounds contridctory to what I said in the above paragraph, but after giving this album a fair trial it has grown on me significantly. The riffs on every song seem to sick with me and David Haley is an absolute juggernaut. He has drummed on four albums this year including this one and he has not disappointed on any of them. You cannot help but admire his dedication.

Now onto what I like most about Ob(Servant), the vocals. A lot of critics seem to think that Psycroptic has lost their edge because the vocals are not what fans are accustomed to. I find it to be the opposite entirley. There is a nice mix of expected grunts and growls, some surprising shouting vocals, and some nicley put together shreeks to deliver a pure message of utter brutality.

It appears that some may wish to condemn this album at first glance and I myself would be included in that group, however I would strongly suggest to give this album at least a few more listens before making your final judgement. It may just be enough to change your opinion . I know that providing this album that little bit of extra playing time changed mine for the better.