Solid Metal, Unique Sound - 87%

MetalHeadNorm, May 25th, 2009

This review was originally written for http://www.MetalNeverLies.com

This CD is... different. I went into Continuum (2006) not knowing what to expect, and to be honest I'd have to admit that I hated it at first. Hate is a strong word, so of course I don't hate any metal, but when I first heard this CD I thought it was really weird and that I'd never be able to get into it.

It was about a week later when I decided to give it another listen. The first track is solid, yet nothing like the rest of the CD. The main tracks that bugged me were the second and third ones, but after “With Vision” I started getting interested. Before I continue, let me just say that Prototype has a pretty unique sound on this album. They play progressive metal, but it has thrash and heavy metal influences. It sounds kind of weird, but it definitely grew on me and it will probably grow on you if you don't like it at first. Anyway, things really started to get interesting when “Transcendent Velocity” started. This song, in my opinion starts to show off Prototype's style better than the first songs of the CD. It wasn't until “Seed” played that I was really convinced that this band was good. “Seed” is a dark, wicked, great song. In all honesty, I still don't really like tracks 2-4 all that much, but I definitely enjoy listening to this CD from “Synthespian” until the end. The second half of this CD is really solid metal, and I feel bad for not liking it the first time I heard it because I like it a lot now. “Heart Machine” and “Cold Is This God” are both really good songs to end the album with.

Throughout the album, the riffs are heavy and the drums are tight with a progressive feel that really gives the album nice rhythm. Their guitar solos are pretty epic, my favorite guitar solo from the album would have to be the one on “Heart Machine.” Overall, this CD has a great sound and gives good atmosphere. The sound will definitely appeal to progressive metal fans, but for fans of other genres (like myself) it may take some getting use to, but I assure you that this is good music. This album is a 'love it or hate it' kind of thing, but whether you love or hate it, it will be hard for you to deny that this is solid material. Continuum (2006) is a unique sounding album that deserves a listen by anyone looking for some interesting metal.

Recommended tracks: “Seed”, “Heart Machine”, “Cold is the God.”