Best thrash from Mexico? - 83%

tylr322, December 10th, 2012

Real Mexican thrash indeed, this may be the best thrash band from Mexico. Listening to this band made me realize that there is hardly any Mexican thrash or at least not any noteworthy stuff. Only really Raped God 666 is the other good one I can think of and both only cropped up quite recently, too. I guess you could count Mortuary, but as far as pure thrash bands go I can't think of a better one than Profanator. Libido Clerico is a flat-out assault of endless fucking riffs. They may not be winning awards for originality but Jesus shitting Christ, the effort these guys put in is not kept a secret.

Listening to the first two tracks, "More Dirty Than Any Trash" and "Licking to Mary", you can immediately tell this isn't your typical retro thrash band. They are serious about what they are delivering. Violent, blasphemous, perverted, and intoxicated thrash that you can feel boiling in your veins. Even if there is a couple of generic song titles that appear extremely unoriginal and typical, there is just that difference when the band is deadly serious and there is that vibe about these guys. It doesn't even matter that the English is shocking because it kind of fits with the crazy Mexican vocals and relentless thrashing. The riffage isn't exactly technical, but is still fairly intricate at times while still being deadly and impressive.

So overall it's just a consistent album of well-intentioned, no bullshit thrash. As always the mediocrity is worshiped and the very underground bands you have to hunt down like Profanator remain as the ones that are actually worth a damn. This album comes out above a lot of the new cookie cutter stuff these days.

Real Mexican Thrash - 85%

Witch_Killer, September 14th, 2012

I'm not a big fan of the new wave of thrash bands that have spawned lately, especially in my own country Mexico. But at the same time, some of my favorite thrash acts hail from the same country.

Well, as I was looking for something new to listen to, someone recommended this to me, the name Profanator sounded cool and I decided to buy this full-length, but what a surprise I got when I looked at the cover picture. It was hideous! The only word I can use to describe this is on Spanish, so I'll use the word tacky. Nevertheless I bought it, and after listening to it, I believe it might be one of the best mexican thrash albums I have ever listened.

The music is so crude, rough aggressive and a little technical, the voice is mean, nasty and if voices could smell like something, this would smell like shit. You can think of this album as the Mexican version of Hell Awaits. The bass doesn't stand out, but on the other hand the drums do, not because of any remarkable execution, but for the raw approach it's given, the music is primitive as fuck. The riffs on the other hand are really good, they are a little bit technical but maintaining the aggressiveness that most bands lose when they try to be too technical; The song Licking to Mary comes to my mind when I talk about technical riffs, specially on the chorus, they are so violent, but so difficult to play at the same time. You will never get bored listening to this riff storm, that is the main quality of this album: the sound is unique and concise.The distortion used fits perfectly the atmosphere of crude and primeval Mexican thrash metal that I think its intended to be given. The lack of solos in many of the songs is something that does fit this band, the riffs are so amazing that I don't mind the scarcity of them. Overall you will be facing a fifty minute in-your-face thrash metal that will blow your face to pieces.

On the downside, the use of English of the band sucks, phrases like 'They know what she want' or 'Lets to rock tonight' shows the level of English they have and it sucks, even the pronunciation. The intros to some of the songs are horrible and make me want to skip up the songs. I would have preferred the whole thing to be in Spanish; the song Líbido Clérico stands out from the rest for having such good lyrics.

The songs that stand out are: More Dirty Than Any Trash, Licking to Mary, 666 Days to Follow, Líbido Clérico and Praise the Vice.