The Pinnacle of the USPM Movement - 100%

DeathRiderDoom, July 26th, 2012

I've been meaning to write about this gem for years. Before getting on with the nitty gritty, this thing is something i've regarded as one of the best examples of the entire USPM movement. It's just pure excellence. For us elitist USPM snobs this thing really is the holy grail; obscure, furiously emotive, wailing, drenched in a web of thrashing riffs, blaring in solos, drenches in gorgeously deep lyrics, with destroyingly empassioned vocals, complex in structure, bursting with creativity, uniqueness and promise – a rare demo, a relatively unknown band – this thing has it all; basically the perfect USPM release, and sadly, yet another case of “why the fuck did this band never do anything else?”. A killer demo for so many reasons, Orcacle's 'As Darkness Reigns' is a supreme cult USPM demo tape which in my opinion stands on the very top shelf of the entire movement, along with records by Graven Image, Liege Lord, Crimson Glory, et al.

The tone and overarching mentality on this slice of metallic fury is just perfect. Oracle oozes with furious, girlish banshee wailing vocals, crying out in the night, while complex riffs burst out at you in a million different, progressing directions, all interlocking perfectly. The music has the passionate perfection of your favourite emotive Iron Maiden songs, with the musical dexterity to match, the raw fury of your favourite ripping US powerthrash bands, the lyrical and vocal talents of your favourite titans, and the shredding technical domination of bands like Holy Terror. I don't know how they came up with such gorgeously intricate, lengthy songs, but 'No Faith for the Liar' is just a masterpiece of brilliantly crafted USPM – it has everything. God knows how many riffs, and an immeasurable weight of thrash fury, crying vocals and pounding drums but it typifies the band's excellent and perfect USPM sound. While I'm talking vibes here, Oracle just has that perfect feel you get from top edge USPM. So fucking Floridian. I envisage tropical rain covered, glistening wide streets, reflecting neon, in a palm laden, leafy, and freshly built affluent suburb of Miami metro, where badass, sexy rebels in tight jeans and leather jackets craft out uproarious, unbridled US power metal with so much genuine flair it seems effortless to themselves.

If we're talking tracks – any of them on this thing just rip. Each is another chapter in a journey back through time to an 80s Florida where white dudes, in a Maiden and 'Ryche inspired fervor set about blazing a typhoonish storm of their own with soaring, banshee wailing power metal odysseys. 'Paradise' is a sombre, crying, yet uplifting epic piece. 'Knights of the Round Table' is a stupidly ripping, fast paced blazer with tough vocals, onslaughts of drum fills, domineering riffs and a fucking stupidly ampingly tough vibe. If you're a metal fan, and you're feeling like an upbeat, go to song, this one rips. The gang vocals and everything just rip. The reverb vocals, the riffs, the structure in general are so gorgeous they make me want to cry. It's honestly ridiculous that people could make music so inspired and perfect. All of the songs are pretty much as good though.

As an album this one offers everything, too. The flow is there and consistency is an obsession, it would seem.. Some USPM bands write a real boss number and then some other passable, head nodding ones, but this thing is a belter where domination seems to comes easy. The title track is a nice powerishly themed beauty of over 8 minutes, but you don't even notice it. The whole time you're just shedding tears and and pumping fists to the beauty. 'Prisoner' is also 8 mins. All the songs manage to maintain the exemplary standard the whole way through, while not sounding in any way disinterested, or lacking in enthusiasm. Most of the songs are winding, complex, screamingly relentless, passionate rippers of considerable length. Even their obligatory ballad is very listenable – invoking teen romance with pretty acoustic guitars and longings of yesteryear.

This is one of the best records of the USPM movement. In a genre within a genre, consisting of snobbish, rad metalheads who ask for nothing but the most dominating and obscure, dominate US Power, this one is surely the holy grail. When listening to this thing I get the same feeling as listening to Vicious Rumors, Crimson Glory, Liege Lord and other top notch executors. Sounds wise i'd say it's Oliver Magnum/Graven Image/Halifax/Powerlord. There is a lot of thrashy edge here, but we're fairly safely in white collar territory. I'm a massive fan of the sub genre that is Floridian US power, and this thing is exemplary of said. It evokes imagery of the scene, and is drenched in passion. Everything is perfect. You cannot ask for a better demo from this genre, and any fan of old school metal who doesn't getting it is a total poser who needs to leave the hall. There is only so much verbal fellatio I can give this record without spewing pages of intricate notes no one will ever read. This thing fucking rips.

-DeathRiderDoom