Different from the Plasmatics, but great! - 80%

Metal_Thrasher90, January 19th, 2008

Supported by Kiss’ legendary Gene Simmons, Wendy O’ Williams released her debut as first solo album without The Plasmatics in a fine tour. Alter the band reached the underground success that every punk band needed to become a legend, Wendy was ready to try a solo career, that would be hard. With the help of Simmons and a profesional band, featuring musicians like the future Ritchie Blackmore ‘s Rainbow’s bassist Greg Smith or the deluxe guests of Kiss’ Ace Frehley, Paul Stanley or Eric Carr.

The sound moves definitively away from the early punk roots from the Plasmatics’ early stuff and gets into a more comercial style, also distanced from “Coup D’Etat” ‘s metal sound. I don’t think any Plasmatics fan would wait such a significative change as you can listen here on “Wow” by the early ‘80s, but it happened. Between hard rock and a bit of pop (we have to recognize), a sound similar to Kiss, the album has got good songs, with Wendy in a state of grace. Although there’s some aggressivity on “I Love Sex (And Rock’N’Roll)” and “Ain’t None Of Your Bussiness”, the album in general is a comercial one. Anyway, it’s enjoyable, specially the hit “It’s My Life” (maybe the most succesful track of Wendy O’Williams whole career, the video-clip has become legendary) or “Priestess”, songs full of energy and the erotic glamour of O’Williams presence and vocals. “Bump And Grind”, “Ready To Rock” or the obvious Kiss cover “Thief In The Night” are great tunes, played with passion, but it’s not the passion of “The Damned”or “Fast Food Service”, it seems more an album made for the hit-lists, and it’s strange because for the Plasmatics that’s a fact that hasn’t ever mattered to a proudly underground band like that. Wendy later seemed to understand this with the following “Kommander Of Kaos”, in my opinion more aggressive and powerful.

In conclusion, I personally love this album but I think it’s excessively away from the attitude that identified Wendy and her Plasmatics. But there’s no doubt that every Plasmatics/Wendy’s fan would enjoy this honest release.