Plaga demo - Satanic Black Metal Madness - 90%

maaraya, November 23rd, 2012

It was by chance that I came upon Plaga on Youtube and ever since then I have been immensly glad and grateful for the music they've put out. Plaga is a band , of which very little is known. On the copy of the demo I have is the line "Plaga is Satanic Black Metal madness inspired by the glorious hand of the devil". it indeed is inspired by something truly tortured and morbid, like the devil himself!

Onto the music, Plaga , on this demo, plays Black Metal in the veins of the raw yet melodic style with very tortured anguished wails and screams spewed over the music. The drumming is excellent and keeps the music moving forward. The drummer utilises a few variations here and there and he is more than capable of what he's doing and does a good job. The drums aren't overtly complicated yet they are by no means simple. The drummer puts on a good show without stealing the spotlight. The guitars have melodic and (dis)harmonious riffs that flow in and out of each other slowly transforming riff after riff. These are beautifully crafted and well executed. The melodies sound sinister and there is plenty of tremolo picked riffs to keep the dismal atmosphere building. On this demo, Plaga create a unique style which borders on Depressive BM. The music has a very special aura to it and can be quite an emotionally overwhelming experience to listen to . After repeated listens I found myself quite drained of all energy I had. If you like some moody, dismal black metal with hateful overtones then this might be a good pick. The instrumental track has a clean tone to it and there is some bass audible there which is otherwise either drowned out or completely lacking on the other two songs. However, the three songs morph into a triology that has a natural flow and progression. The opener Traby Zaglady is easier to digest while the Triumfalny taniec takes a couple of listens to fully manifest and reveal itself. I highly suggest giving this demo a couple of spins to thoroughly enjoy it.

All in all a solid by this Polish psychopaths. Be sure to pick this up in either the Digipak version or the vinyl version. If you're a fan of Mgla, Furia and the ilk then this might be a nice listen.