Spheres! - 98%

AllPowerToSlaves, February 3rd, 2007

1993 was what many consider the peak of death metal; Death's "Individual Thought Patterns", Gorguts' "The Erosion of Sanity", Cynic with "Focus", and others which have stood the test of time. I can't help but wonder why so many consider this to be Pestilence's weakest moment, when clearly it is their most brilliant.

This album is a solid piece of death metal history, and an undoubtably masterpiece from first note to last. Upon putting the CD in my stereo and throwing on my headphones, little did I know I was about to travel across the universe and back in under 33 minutes. When the opening riff for "Mind Reflections" hits, you know you're in for one hell of a ride. Compared to Pestilence's earlier albums, this one definitely has the most atmosphere. While many argue about the production, I don't think it could be any more perfect. While most death metal albums from 1993 were done digitally, and Spheres being no exception, the quality is excellent. I've heard many say the vocals are too "pushed back", but I don't think that's true. What I think causes this effect is the shear in-your-face mix the album bears. Guitars are right up front, and the bass is some of the most audible I've ever heard.

Like many death metal albums from the time, this one is loaded with imagery that is sure to make your head spin. The guitar synth is ever prominent, and it really helps to instill the whole "flying through space" vibe that the album is going for. I consider this album to be one of the few albums to get the complete package right. From album art to every single song, this beast is a masterpiece. Hats off to Dan Seagrave for another amazing album cover (check out his other work with Gorguts and Suffocation), and even the disc art carries on with the theme.

Point being, if you don't own this album you should find a copy as soon as possible. While it has been out of print in the USA for over a decade, you can easily find copies on the internet for fairly cheap. Spheres proves Pestilence were in their prime, and right on time to knock the metal world on its ass at it highest point.