Pestilence - Doctrine - 65%

TheShrineofDeath, May 25th, 2011

The Dutch technical death metal legend Pestilence is back with their second album after the reunion. Some line-up changes have happened since the last album, Resurrection Macabre. Tony Choy left the band and Jeroen Paul Thesseling is replacing him. Also there is new drummer, Yuma van Eekelen, from Brutus. I don't know, do these kinds of changes really matter, but like before in his career, from Testimony of the Ancients to Spheres, Patrick Mameli and his men have again went to more jazz-influenced direction in their music.

Resurrection Macabre promised a lot, and even it was technical, being quite similar like the first three albums. But like on Spheres, it seems like Mameli's ambition as a musician has taken band into a direction, what the fans of the band's older production is hard to tolerate. On one hand, the band may gain more fans, but on the other, I think that this new material is too introverted for the most people.

The album begins after the long intro with the track, 'Amgod', that is mostly fine death metal, but even this track we have some original jazzing, creating the atmosphere to almost the whole album. Death metal and jazz are both very strong elements on this album, but this soup is done with such a challenging recipe that it's very hard to say anything sure even after dozens of listens. The only thing that I'm really sure is that on Resurrection Macabre this stuff worked much better. It's sure that Mameli and his men are extremely skilled musicians, but this time it feels like the sound was entirety taken over by the vision. It isn't really a bad thing, not at all. Some evolution has happened, like Mameli’s vocals are much better now, but this album still confuses me. Maybe the album will open to me couple years later.