Pelican.. Can they do any wrong? - 92%

caspian, October 15th, 2005

I wasn't quite sure if I was going to buy this EP or not. 2 tracks.. one an extended version of a song I've already got.. Is it worth it?

Well, I'm very glad I did buy it, because this is one of the best EP's I've heard in a long while. It's as long as some full length albums are as well, so it's great value for money.

"March to the Sea" if the first song. It's probably one of the more average songs on their "Fire in our throats.." album. It's fairly heavy and fast, but It didnt seem to have too much going for it. This version, however, is much better. The first ten minutes is for the most part very heavy, with a bit of double bass (Double bass in a Pelican song?) and some fast riffing. There's a few mellow bits, but it's mainly metal, and it's fairly repetitive.

It really starts to take off at the 10 minute mark though. From around the 10 to the 15 minute mark, it's very heavy indeed. Mastodon wish they could write riffs like this one. Just heavy, chunky and fast. The last 5 minutes are what make this song amazing though. It's a... Flute solo! No, i'm not kidding. A beautiful post-rock breakdown with some delicate flute warblings over the top of it. It's fits in great with all the metal riffs too. It's probably my favourite part in any Pelican song.

The next song is a remix of an older pelican song by JK Broadrick. Now me being an Isis fanboy made me very excited about this, because Broadrick has done a few really amazing remixes of Isis tunes, so I naturally expected a great remix. And of course, JK delivers with an amazing remix of Angel Tears, a song from Australasia. Now, I haven't heard the original, but if it's half as good as this, it's definetly worth getting. The song is done in Broadrick's own style, and sounds a bit like his rather excellent new band Jesu. Not quite as good as the Isis remixes, but still, very good.

This is a very good EP, very good value for money, with two really epic and amazing songs. Buy this album before you get their Fire in our Throats.. album, because while it's not quite as jaw droppingly amazing as that album, it's a great introduction to that album, and to the amazing band called Pelican.