My ass has been kicked... - 92%

pickharmonic, March 2nd, 2005

...by this fucking album. This is some of the highest quality death metal that I've heard. Great production, kick ass riffs, deep and high vocals (that you can somewhat understand) and the drums, Panzer fucking Christ the drums! One of the reasons why I checked this band out is because I heard that Reno Killerich can do 800 bass kicks in one minute and my belief about it is definitly backed up by his drumming on this album. The drums are incredibly fast and lethal sounding, they almost sound like the tanks themselves. Another thing that stands out to me about this album is the crushing guitar tone. The album wouldn't be as heavy without it. I think it's a pretty important factor of the album.

We are first greeted by the sounds of church bells and tanks rolling down the road, and then the guitar kicks and drums kick in, but the isn't major ass kicking opening yet. After a very impressive drum fill...we hear "tomorrow, tomorrow, Tomorrow, Tomorrow, TOMORROW!" and that is when everything explodes and hits you at full force. Fast fucking blastbeats and awesome riffage are everywhere in this song. This song is pretty short though...since half of it is samples and sounds. Definitly an awesome opening to the album.

"Creature" is the song where the album really starts. More awesome double bass work and more great riffage. You hear the first lead guitar work on the album on this song as well. "Lies" is a song that I like a lot, mainly because of the beginning of it. The drum, guitar and bass chokes are heavy as fuck, not to mention the awesome riff that's playing during it. The rest of the song is fucking heavy also. "Suicide" starts out with some more great drum work. It sounds like it's coming out of a little radio at first but then everything kicks in and we're back to heavy ass sound. "At the Grave" has a riff in the middle that sounds like a riff that would appear on an early Morbid Angel album, not saying they ripped it off or anything, it just reminds me a lot of Morbid Angel's early albums, but that doesn't mean that this song isn't awesome. After "Death Approaches", Panzerchrist decides to pay tribute to Metal Church with their own version of the song "Metal Church". They do a very good job on this song. One good thing I'd like to point out about the album is that it is consistent. There aren't any weird changes in their playing that doesn't fit with the rest of the album or anything else like that, which is always a plus for me. *knock* *knock*..."room service..." *BANG BANG* *BANG BANG*!!! The title track of the album is short and very sweet. A song that is a lot like "Tomorrow", mainly because since it's short and fast the whole way through. The last two tracks "The Red River" and "Evil" are also very good.

This was my first taste of Panzerchrist, and I was very impressed indeed. First impressions are always important and the album gives an extremely good one! These danish death metallers definitly have something in store for the future of death metal.