Go get daddy's gun... - 97%

Killercult, November 28th, 2005

A little warning: this was my first death metal-album, so I may have added a few extra points to the rating just for the nostalgy. When I listened to this cd for the first time, I was very confused. Reno's drumming was something totally amazing for me, since the heaviest band I had listened by that time was probably Pantera, Bo's vokills were so brutal (they still are, though)....

The album begins with Tomorrow. In the beginning of the song we hear a choir singing some hymn. You really become anxious when you hear "fire!" from the background. That command breaks out the hell that continues until the very end of the album. The song itself is a short, aggressive piece of grind. Reno kicks the hell out of his drums and the whole song is very sweet. Absolutely one of the top notches of the album. You can listen to this song at http://www.panzerchrist.com.

After Tomorrow is finished, Creature comes in. Song starts mid-paced, but around two minutes of playing time tempo picks up and the solo comes in. After the solo comes a really cool piece of black metal, with some killer melodies from the guitars. The band uses synths in some songs to create a really great atmosphere, like in this song. Absolutely stunning, one of my favorite songs on the album.

Lies continues with the same mid-paced tempo as Creature started and is a nice song. In some songs Panzer reminds me a lot of Bolt Thrower and this song might be a good example. Recommended.

Suicide starts with a little drum solo by Reno after kicking into a blastbeat mayhem. Listen to Bo's vocals on this song, that guy is just unbelievable! In the middle of the song comes a little more mellow part with few nice melodic solos from Fredrik O' Carroll. These guys are really brutal, but they sure know where to put melodies in. Check out the solo in Evil if you don't believe me.

After Suicide comes At the Grave, maybe my favourite song on the album. A mid-paced song from the beginning until the end, but hell, this song has got more balls than a whole football team has ever seen. Do not miss this one.

The next song, Death Approaches, is IMHO the weakest song on the album. It's not a bad song, though, but it lacks in something that the other songs have. It has some cool synths creating a nice atmosphere in some parts, though.

But the seventh song is what everything is about. Panzerchrist's cover of Metal Church-song Metal Church should be entitled as the metal cover of the century. Period. Everything hits the spot on this song, Reno's drumming is once again absolutely astonishing and Bo sounds very, very mean.... they added some double bass kicks into the verse, and that little thing makes this song kick ass. All the bands doing covers from legendary songs should listen to this and think again if it was a good idea for them to cover (insert a legendary metal song here).

If Metal Church kicks ass, Roomservice rips your head off. The song starts with the sound of knocking and Bo grunting 'Roomservice'. After a few explosions the shortest song on this album is all over you with some serious grinding. This song will leave you standing confused even after when the album has ended a long time ago.

Red River is a cool mid-paced song again, with nice guitar riffs. A good song, I don't know how I could describe it more better.

The last song of this album, Evil, is a very atmospheric song (at least for me). It is a quite mid-paced song again, but the synths in the background create something bigger. The chorus sounds nearly creepy when the synths come in. It's a simple song, but it deserves it's place on the album and is a great way to end a great album.

If you're a fan of brutal death metal, you need to have this. I don't think that bands like Spawn of Possession and such are brutal, but if Panzerchrist isn't brutal, then there is no such thing. A must have.