You'll Never Be... - 85%

demonomania, September 12th, 2005

...Grave. But a damn good try nonetheless. Paganizer is one of those new old school Swedish bands, playing the hearty mid-tempo death created by folks like the Entombed and the aforementioned Grave. While Paganizer does throw in some blast beats to set themselves apart, the blastbeats mostly sound awkward (except on the merciless first track). Paganizer is most at home letting out a mighty roar right before a big old Swedeath breakdown.

The vocals are cookie monster low, very much in the style of Jorgen Sandstrom, but perhaps with a little less variety. Speaking of Jorgen, he even appears on this album somewhere - but I have no idea which track it is on. Which should give you a clue as to how similar the two vocalists sound. The guitar tone is straight out of Entombedland, low and crunchy - essential to this type of music. The drummer seems most comfortable when laying down that driving, relentless groove - as I said before a lot of the faster parts sound loose and underpracticed. I get the feeling that later albums may find this band with a more precise blastbeat attack. The bass does its job in backing up the general heaviness.

I must say that I like this band a LOT better than Ribspreader, whose tracks all sound the same. While DEAD UNBURIED does suffer from some repetition in its own right, there are certainly some standouts. "Even In Hell" has fast mixed in very well with slow - it is a great punch-in-the-face opener. The next track that catches my ear is "Napalm Burial," though it is not as good as the upcoming "Flesh Supremacy" - a true Swedeath masterpiece. "At Night They Come" is rad too, reminds me of "Scars" from SOULLESS. "Hateconsumed" is a good choice for a closing track - as a listener it always gives you a more favorable opinion of the album in general if the last song is deathtastic.

So for fans of bands like Kaamos or the old masters like Grave, this is an album for you. It has grown on me more and more since purchasing it, and despite some filler it does a fine job of victimizing the listener. I recommend spending a little more time on the lyrics (murder, death, kill, kill, death, murder, hate and pain, murder, etc.) and the placement of faster drum parts (or at least how the blasts sound over the guitars) to allow this album to stand up to the works of its predecessors.