Holy Shit! - 100%

ShadowsFall63, April 27th, 2005

Pagan’s Fucking Mind! What more can I say about this band that has not already been said? When it comes to genius musical talent these guys are at the top of the list. I have listened to this masterpiece (Celestial Entrance) a million times, and every time I listen it gets better, and I hear something new. I have had this on an almost continuous spin since sometime in 2003. Probably the only other album that I have listened to more is the great Lost Horizon’s A Flame To The Ground Beneath. These two albums are by far my favorite two, and although I will not yet fully admit to it, Celestial Entrance is starting to step over A Flame To The Ground Beneath as more superior!

For those of you that don’t already know (and if you don’t, clime out of that damn rock and wake up) Pagan’s Mind write and record the most perfect music I have ever heard. I have called albums flawless before but never have I meant it at such a magnitude as is here. 100% perfect is exactly what this album is. Nils K. Rue hits every single note just as it should be hit; and what’s cool about him is he can go from high to low with no trouble at all. Besides Nils’ magnificent vocal display is Jorn Viggo Lofstad’s guitar manifesto, WOW! Jorn is now one of my favorite guitarists, as it appears to me he can do anything he wants with a guitar. Not to go unnoticed is the excellent drumming of Stian Lindaas Kristoffersen, as well as bassist Steinar Krokmo, keyboardist Ronny Tegner, and backing guitarist Thorstein Aaby (who is no longer in the band). Pagan’s Mind is not made of an all-star line-up, but all of these guys are extremely talented at what they do, and all the members together is what makes Pagan’s Mind so special.

Doing a track by track review would take me all week, as each song has its own diversity and uniqueness. And yes, every single track kicks ass! The two standout tracks that I will mention are Dreamscape Lucidity and Back To The Magic Of Childhood: Part 2 – Exploring Life. Dreamscape Lucidity is one of my all-time favorite songs! This song alone puts Pagan’s Mind in another dimension not matched by any other musician on Earth. I love the guitar riffs in this song, as well as the lyrics. Back To The Magic Of Childhood: Part 2 – Exploring Life is a 9:18 instrumental, and this is another song that defies music. This IS, I believe, the best instrumental ever written (not just in metal, but in all of music). This is probably Jorn’s best work, as he does an outstanding and perfect job on the guitar. These two songs are Pagan’s Mind at their best, and the cool thing is there are 10 other tracks besides these two that are just as good.

Besides how freakin awesome this album is, the artwork is also really cool. I don’t buy very many albums, only ones that are truly worth it (and of course this was). Pagan’s Mind uses some really cool themes for their artwork; I don’t really know how to define it. Sort of like space of unknown dimensions with a little darkness.

In conclusion, Pagan’s Mind kick ass, and that’s all there is to it! Its bands like this that are going to keep metal alive, and I don’t see how anyone can make a better album than this, and if so, I’ll have to see it, or rather hear it to believe it.

Originally written for http://www.metalcrypt.com