Pagan's Mind are carried by immortal gods... - 90%

Mobius288, August 25th, 2005

This album is an absolute masterpiece of progressive metal. An excellent starting point for prog metal newbies and an excellent addition to the collection of progressive enthusiasts alike.

There's a very Arabian feel to some of the music on this album. It starts off like that and it recurs throughout.

The intro track, "Approaching", starts with a Pink Floyd - Echoes type ambient sound to it, moves into some keyboard work that will instantly make you think of the Great Pyramid at Giza, and then moves into very catchy guitar playing, which segues into one of the best tracks on the album, "Through Osiris' Eyes". This is a very diverse song, with a nice display of shredding halfway through.

We then move on to "Entrance: Stargate"... This gets extra points from me, since it's obviously about the movie Stargate, which is one of my favorite sci-fi movies. This one will have you humming it everywhere you go.

Next comes "....Of Epic Questions"... Somehow, this song feels really awkward to listen to. I honestly can't explain it, you'd have to hear it yourself.

My other favorites on the album are "Back to the Magic of Childhood", parts one and two. Very nice instrumental work here. A great instrumental sufficiently fills the void that's left by the lack of vocals, and Pagan's Mind certainly have the technical talent and creativity to fill that void. These two instrumentals reminded me heavily of Dream Theater. Sure, a lot of metalheads hate DT because of JLB's vocals, but honestly, I don't see how anyone could hate their instrumental pieces.

To reiterate, this is an excellent album to start with if you want to get into prog metal, and if you're already a progressive fan, grab this right away. You won't regret it.