You know not what I know. - 75%

Diamhea, April 25th, 2014

While I had some issues with the track selection and inclusion of medleys on Wrecking Everything, the deficiency of time faced by Overkill here on Live at Wacken Open Air 2007 forces the band to streamline their set and thankfully deep-six many of the more tepid inclusions that sporadically pockmarked their live performances around this period. The lame duck Immortalis had just dropped, however, so there are naturally a couple of deviations into more deliberate, grooving fare. Even this fails to sink the ship here though, as the two cuts representing said album are some of it's more digestible numbers. Add these to a number of live staples (save for one surprise) and there really isn't much to complain about.

To address the visual aspect of the DVD first, Live at Wacken Open Air 2007 is relatively well shot and features a number of strategically placed cameras. Other than the proclivity to execute some irritating zoom-pulls, the camera crew is aware and clearly familiar enough with the material to anticipate solos and cover all of the necessary material. The footage is spliced together in an agitated fashion, but not to the point that it becomes actively irritating. A personal quibble I have with many live DVDs is the inclusion of too much footage of the fans/crowd. I paid for this release to see the band, not the (admittedly animated) Wacken crowd, but that certainly isn't an issue here.

The modern Overkill lineup has occasionally struggled with stage presence on the past, but this is one of their better outings. Verni and especially Tailer are all over the place and clearly not phoning it in. Part of me wants to throw Linsk under the bus for his inactivity on stage, but he has always delivered pristine technical performances in concert. On a technical level alone, he is likely the best guitarist to ever represent The Green and Black. A good example of his instrumental mastery is the harmonized lead he interjects near the end of "Rotten to the Core." This brings us to then-newcomer Ron Lipnicki, who totally blows Mallare out of the sewer water and elevates the band to an even higher level. You almost get the sense that the rest of the band is nearly struggling simply to keep up with his manic rhythms.

Audibly, Live at Wacken Open Air 2007 also passes muster. The lack of overdubs is never a concern with Overkill, and other than a dearth of Verni's normally omnipresent bass tone, every note is clear and accessible to even virgin ears. The backing vocals are also flawlessly integrated into the final mix. Crowd noise is never invasive and adds the expected atmosphere. I would be right there with the crowd in going Chaly-shit crazy, especially when "Thanx for Nothin" comes around (the aforementioned surprise inclusion). "Skull and Bones" is much more digestible without Blythe, but is still the weakest number here. Alternatively, "Walk Through Fire" has some balls live, what with it's more classic-sounding riff set and throwback inclinations. The rest is solid gold from soup to nuts, and a decent snapshot of the post-Bloodletting / pre-Ironbound era of Overkill.

The only major drawback is the lack of bonus features, which makes Live at Wacken Open Air 2007 a more difficult sell strictly on it's own. Thankfully, the digipack edition of Immortalis comes with this as a bonus disc, so try to grab that variant of the full-length, especially if you enjoyed ReliXIV. I still consider Immortalis Overkill's low point, but this DVD is well executed for what it is.

Cool, but NOT Satisfying - 70%

tdread123, May 4th, 2008

First off, let me just say I am a huge Overkill fan and have been for a long time. There last dvd was just awesome. Everything I wanted out of a dvd from them. But with this dvd, its almost a completely different story.

The "Live At Wacken Open Air 2007" dvd captured some pretty cool fotage. And being that it was an Overkill dvd, I had to buy it. Everything about it was pretty cool. The sound wasn't too bad, the camera angles weren't as annoying as some other dvd releases in the past have been. The energy, though not as apparent as the last dvd release from the "Batmen," was obviously apparent, and the crowd was pretty nice and loud.

So whats wrong with the dvd? The only thing that continues to bug me about this dvd is that there is almost nothing on it. You get a ten song setlist which lasts about the time of an opening band and then your done. No bonus material, no interviews, no extra songs, just a menu that lets you select individual songs to watch. Now, maybe if there were more on this dvd I would recommend you to buy it. But seeing as how it pretty much looks like an Overkill sample, I am not recommending it.

Now if you're a huge Overkill fan, then yeah, I would recommend you buy it. The set list isn't as blistering as they usually do, but seeing as they had a limited time frame, they did okay with what they got. And the lack of content won't really bother you if you love the band as much as I do. But for those of you out there who just want a bad ass capture of what Overkill are like live, definately consider buying the other one, "Wrecking Everything Live." This dvd will dissapoint.