"Desire is torture, like thirst without water!" - 87%

Xeogred, June 16th, 2008

Damn this is one tough album that practically came out of nowhere. Original Sin were interestingly enough, composed only of female members! And one of the better groups in that case. Virgin Steele's David DeFeis was also around giving a helping hand with the incredible production and some songwriting, which I find to be a bit ironic considering the fact that this album is arguably more fierce than what Virgin Steele were releasing back then (Noble Savage and Age Of Consent, usually both regarded as their most inconsistent albums). Though I guess it'd be more fair to point out (according to the notes here at MA) in terms of his co-writing he helped mainly with the two tracks Conjuration Of The Watcher and Succubus, easily among the best here that Virgin Steele would later cover on their compilation release The Book of Burning put out in 2002.

Sin Will Find You Out is an awesome mixed bag of pure speed metal with a handful of classic US power metal elements layering most of the tracks. By 1986 most bands were either finally going all out with the thrash movement or sticking to more obscure niche's of their own, if they were good. There's honestly not a lot of albums out there from the US that I find myself comparing this one too that often, maybe it's got some of Savage Grace's debut in it, Attacker's The Second Coming, slight touches of Liege Lord, and maybe even some Agent Steel influences but I might be stretching it a bit there. I think it'd just be safe to say Original Sin were ... well, pretty original!

Another coat to this glorious product is the production, which makes me want to look over at DeFeis again and ask "Wait, you helped with this?" as this is way heavier than Virgin Steele's stuff at the time. Who knows, maybe these chicks were really "Bitches From Hell" and wanted something that would trample down walls. The production is setup just for that, the drums are furiously heavy, guitars are razor sharp and thick, the bass sealing up the cement in the back, with the whole package giving off somewhat of a dark vibe. Everything is extremely heavy and the whole mix is crystal clear, this is something even folks whom mainly listen to modern stuff could probably get into rather easily thanks to the A+ production.

On top of this, these ladies could all single handingly slay things by themselves if they were lost on the battlefield all alone. You'll notice some of the tracks point out various solo's. A Slice Of Finger is a fairly nice guitar solo track, Thunder War being a slightly interesting bass solo, with some hellish drum soloing at the start of Succubus. They certainly aren't solo's that'll make your brain melt or anything, but at the same time it's quite a shame they didn't stick around or continue on elsewhere with other bands after this single release.

And we absolutely cannot forget about vocalist Danielle Draconis, she's one of the few female vocalists out there deserving of the title "metal vocalist". She's got a pretty vicious approach to singing, shouting a lot of clear notes into the endless sky (with that good ol' 80's echo effect which sounds perfect here) and she can certainly scream and shriek at ease, all topped off with an excellent range. Her skill is displayed flawlessly right off the bat on Conjuration Of The Watcher where she sticks to the higher notes a little more often than the other tracks. Her voice is like a chain reaction of explosive shock waves on this one, with some crazy deadly shrieks ... "Waving Flaming Swords in hand, An Ancient being from a different Vanished time, Sacred power brilliant mind" - it's parts like these that she just seems to keep going higher and higher while you thought you already knew her limit, but I have to say, if she hit any notes a little higher than these segments it'd probably slice people in half or something. It's scary. All in all, she's like the female equivalent of Glen May, John Cyriis, James Rivera, or someone along those lines, heck maybe we should just call her Ms. DeFeis?

Overall this album is downright consistent, with no sappy ballads or radio friendly gimmicks displayed anywhere. As I pointed out above the two tracks DeFeis helped out a lot with are among the best here, Conjuration Of The Watcher and Succubus. I think it's interesting to note that these tracks seem to really hint at how Virgin Steele would develop throughout the 90's, if they just flatout appeared on the Heaven & Hell releases or the two Atreus ones, they wouldn't have sounded out of place at all. It's also incredible how well Danielle Draconis' vocals go along with the songs perfectly, so I'll honestly have to say I favor these original versions even over Virgin Steele's covers which aren't bad at all. But heck, this whole album kind of has that more "majestic Virgin Steele" feel to it (their late 90's stuff). All tracks are definitely on the speedier side of things and each number differs enough to stand out on its own. Straight up speed/power with nonstop consistency, Sin Will Find You Out was crafted pretty damn well. Again, I have to say it kind of sucks they came out of nowhere, dropped this off, and would never be heard of again, but at least they graced us with a killer classic. You dig classic US speed metal and or power metal? Want to hear one of the toughest non-thrash chick bands out there from the 80's? This is it.