Average, but way too many lyrics - 58%

MikeyC, January 9th, 2007

Origin, for me, is one of those bands that has taken a while to get into, and even now it's hard to take seriously. While they're definitely good at what they do, they just lack that certain something to make them awesome.

Now, I do like this album. In my opinion it's better than "Echoes of Decimation". But I can't listen to it all the time. If it wasn't for the occasional interludes at the beginning of the tracks, all the songs would mold together. They all sound exactly the same. The album goes for a mere 28:32, but in my opinion, that is more than enough. While these guys can play fast, that isn’t the only prerequisite for making decent music. You have to vary your style, keep the listener guessing about what’s coming up next, make the music unpredictable. This is where the album falls. The songs are predictable. Every song is played at light speed with no room for a solo, or a decent guitar riff, or something different to be thrown in.

But, I have to say the biggest problem is the vocals. No, not because they sound terrible. In fact, they’ve got some good growling happening. It’s the amount problem. They’re everywhere! Way, way too many lyrics for these songs. The first 58 seconds of “Inhuman” is probably the only reprieve we have of the vocalists, even with the intro and the two screams. Everything else is chock-full of lyrics, spoken at such a speed that following with the lyrics in front of you is even a challenge. I know, because I’ve tried it.

However, on the plus side, the vocalists are talented. They can speak quickly while clearly saying the words. On some occasions it even becomes catchy, like on “Insurrection”, where they sing on the same rhythm as the music. Even the lyrical theme here of hatred and killing someone is good and keeps the lyrics interesting momentarily.

With that said, overall, this album is average. It’s definitely not the worst, but they just don’t rank highly in terms of uniqueness and style. I enjoy fast music, but not so fast that the tracks all sound hauntingly similar. Not to mention that if you don’t like the vocals, then forget it, as they dominate every single song without a break.