Brutality Incarnate - 95%

EchoesOfDecimation, October 3rd, 2008

Origin can only be described as sheer madness, a band who can create a record that finds its way into your brain, takes it hostage, rapes its wife and kids, kills them, devours them, and then burns their house down on the way out. This is quite simply put, one of the most brutal albums I have ever had the pleasure of listening too.

Origin are truly a force to be reckoned with. Rarely have I initially been so floored by a bands output. What really struck me first about Origin, was the vocal assault that nearly the entire band lays down. There is the main vocalist who supplies the guttural grunts and growls, and then there are the two guitarists/bassist who scream their fucking lungs out. Scream might not really be the word, it almost sounds like a demonic screech from Hell. The relentless vocal assault never lets up, not to the point where your like “Shut up already”, but it is quite prominent and meshes very well with the music (If you get mad at the vocalist of Psycroptic for this reason, it might carry over to Origin as well). Half of the appeal of Origin to me, IS the intense vocals, it is definitely one of the aspects of the band that sets them apart from other Death Metal bands and makes them stand out.

Since they put out “Echoes Of Decimation” a few years ago, Origin became synonymous with sweeping. I feel that they sweep more on “Echoes” than they do on here, but it is definitely a major characteristic that makes up the band. With that said, the guitar work is simply awesome. It is not jaw droppingly amazing, but it is definitely noteworthy. Unfortunately, this album does not differ from almost every other metal release in that the bass is buried in the mix and you can barely, if at all, hear it. Fortunately for us, Origin smartened up and made the bass audible on their newest output “Antithesis”.

Now on to the best part of the album: the drums. John Longstreth does nothing short of one of the best drumming performances ever recorded. His drumming is complex and clean. Unlike his temporary replacement James King, Longstreth does NOT overuse blast beats. Every blast he makes has a purpose behind it, not to simply fill a void (Cough James King Cough). If one comparison is to come to mind, it is none other than the great Flo Mounier. He by no means sounds like Flo stylistically, but as far as complexity and sheer astonishment from listening goes, they are in every way on the same page.

This album is merciless in the best way possible. It does not get repetitive and you will want to hear it again and again, simply to understand what just occurred both musically, and to your senses.