I didn't like it - 41%

Cheeses_Priced, August 31st, 2004

Unique, technical, well-played, extremely brutal, and ultimately, not particularly enjoyable in my estimation.

This album’s afflicted with what you might call “Relapse Records Syndrome”. You can observe an advanced case in bands like Dillinger Escape Plan, where the impulse to overthrow tradition and make a declaration of creativity has rendered their music a series of barely-related dissonant chords and references to other musical genres – attention-getting on first listen, but I have to wonder if you couldn’t program a computer to write that stuff.

Origin are not nearly at that level; this still sounds like death metal, after all, down to the vocal attack, with no cutesy digressions into other styles. Still, the songwriting here is pretty much just a matter of straddling the line between completely arbitrary chaos on one hand and having enough repetition so as not to confuse moshers too much on the other. With, say, a Deeds of Flesh album, music that appears to be completely abstract and aloof initially turns out to be subtly melodic (in their fashion) and rather emotional after listening to it enough to get my brain properly wrapped around it. This thing, on the other hand, works the other way around… it seems a little thinner and more transparent every time I hear it. Is it possible for something to be complicated without actually being complex?

Anyway, I wouldn't call this horrible, but there are currently five death metal bands for every homo sapien that has walked the earth since man first stood upright, so exercise some judgment, please.