Strange - 65%

Mortifer_Hellfire, September 18th, 2007

Strange. That is the only way I can describe this album. All the members are well-know for their other activities and here they are, collaborating with each other. How this is possible is beyond me, but they did it. And pretty good too!

I wouldn’t call this Metal, though. Avant-garde rock perhaps and definitely not Black Metal. The guitar melody sounds quite beautiful and harmonic, even (oh, dare I say it…) happy at times. Legions trademark voice and the dark lyrics betray some of the members background. Other than that I don’t see anything remotely evil or grim about this band. IT shows that he is a musical genius with an endless succession of leads. And the riffs… ehm, what riffs? You mean the strumming of powerchords? I could hear perhaps one or two of those. All the rest is just single-string melody with the bass underneath playing the alternative melody.

The big minus of this album is the drums. No punch, hardly any passion and a weak sound. I suspect Ophthalamia wanted to be jazzy and freaky in there effort, but they lack the swung for such enterprises.

There is, however, an interesting side to this album. It showcases the Swedish sound as it was in the mid-nineties. Somewhere one can identify some Dissection in the succession of notes and even a hint of old, nay, ancient Marduk.

Overall, I like it. It isn’t breath-taking, awe-inspiring, relaxing or even pleasant (the endless leads can be quite a pain in the rear end sometimes), but I like it. It is definitely worth listening.