Sublime - 92%

Zoanthropic_Paranoia, December 24th, 2007

Let me preface this with saying that Opeth are one of my favorite bands so this review may be a bit biased. Also let me say that I am more than a little pissed with some of the reviews for this album. Not that they are low but because of the lack of intelligent though process that should've been put into it. One reviewer says Opeth "[do not] do brutality well." Well, that's because Opeth isn't trying to be 'brutal'. Opeth by their nature are a progressive death metal band. Progressive does not mean brutal. And someone complained of their songs being too long and that they were sure to bore listeners. Opeth's commercially successful albums have tracks just as long as this so apparently people are not too bored.

With that rant aside now we come to the real review of Opeth's "Deliverance". While not the greatest Opeth release to date it is still a very strong, solid, and overall well written album both musically and atheistically. It should've been a double album with "Damnation" as the other CD but because of the greedy nature of record companies Opeth were shafted.

Deliverance is a pretty heavy album in terms of Opeth's musical career. Only a few parts on any of the tracks and sung cleanly by Åkerfeldt. Musically the album is very solid and well written. There is the right amount of heaviness in the riffs and bass lines and the rhythm of Martin Lopez on the skins definitely helps.

I will spare you a track by track review because that would be excessive and rather newbish of me. Seminal tracks on this album include the title track "Deliverance", "A Fair Judgment", and "By The Pain I See In Others". What I found most notable about this album and pretty much every other Opeth album was not the complexity of the songs themselves but the complexity in the lyrics and vocalization style of Mikael Åkerfeldt. Any vocalist who can easily switch between a death growl and clean vocals is undoubtedly talented. What's more is that both his death growl vocals and clean vocals are equally impressive. Neither outweighs the other because both are done very well. Lyrically many of the songs are misanthropic, a common theme in Åkerfeldt 's writing, but not to the point of melodramatic-ness which is all to prevalent in some other metal lyrics.

On whole Deliverance isn't a 100 or even a 95, but its damn close. I give it a 92 because it does have a few flaws, most of those coming in the form of production quality and volume difference on some of the audio tracks. Also there just weren't enough tracks for me personally. However as I said above this was supposed to be a double LP but because of the record company, things fell through. At the end of the day, all is well that ends well for Sweden’s progressive death metal gods, Opeth.