A mess of electronic distortion - 76%

PhantomMullet, November 10th, 2011

I've been familiar with Revelation 666: The Curse of Damnation for many years now and I still have trouble deciding what I really think about it. On one hand some of the songs are awesome and this album is home to some of the best OMC songs; however, the production can sometimes really get into the way of any other potential enjoyments.

First off, Revelation 666 is the most keyboard-drive OMC album. No matter which track you listen to, you can't avoid them at all. This is good news for people who like keyboards, but for those who thought they were a hinderance on other albums, now would be a good time to step away. In addition to keyboards, electronics are used almost exclusively here, making a small hint of industrial influence.

Other than the heavier use of keyboards, this is still your typical OMC album, not too much different from Ill-Natured Spiritual Invasion and Pagan Prosperity, that is, the songs are catchy in a mainstream sounding way, but borrow some common ideas from older death and heavy metal bands. Besides the keyboards, the other main difference is the production. Not only are the keyboards used extensively, but they have a fair amount of distortion that easily washes away the sounds of other instruments. It's one thing to not be able to pick out the riffs frequently, but sometimes even the vocals are buried. This comes up in songs like "Unholy Vivid Innocence" - an otherwise decent song, but tainted by subpar production. In addition to production issues, there are a number of silly song-writing ideas. Galder's vocals in much of "Obscure Divine Manifestation" sound incredibly gimmicky and unnatural.

If you can get past the screwy production, this album does indeed have a number of pros. It turns out that not all songs are affected by the crappy production and for some songs, the bad production actually enhances things! "Phantoms of Mortem Tales" is catchy as hell and is well supplemented with strong force of electronic sounds. The song puts me in a trance and I love how it fades out in the end. It only enhances the trance-like feel. "Into Silence Embrace" suffers a bit from the washy production, but makes up for that in terms of songwriting and performance. It's a totally badass song and I love how the drums and keyboards build up in the beginning to make something powerful sounding.

Revelation 666 is a double edged sword in some ways - most of these tracks are very memorable. If you absolutely hate these tracks, they'll be stuck in your head for a long time. If you like just a few of these tracks, you'll probably listen to them joyfully many more times. In my personal opinion, all these songs range from decent to awesome. If parts of the production were remastered, the quality of these songs would be unstoppable and this would arguably be one of the best OMC albums. However, the distortion in the production is something you'll have to overcome and it won't happen overnight. OMC fans should still check this out as it contains many of the main ideas present in other albums, as well as people who enjoy catchy, easy to listen to metal, but those who hate keyboards and synths will have nightmares about this album.

Highlights: Into Silence Embrace, Phantoms of Mortem Tales, Passage to Pandemonium