The True Rednecks' Return - 89%

CHRISTI_NS_ANITY8, March 13th, 2008

At first I didn’t know what to expect from this new Obituary album after the quite good but not exceptional, Frozen In Time. That album in my opinion, featured only two great songs and the lack of fast parts was the main problem with it. It seemed they needed time to come back in a perfect condition.

Well, with this one the things are getting better for sure also for those, like me, who wanted more speed and violence in the sound. So the first thing that came to my mind was The End Complete; this album has a lot in common with that one, production too, that now is more powerful, and the great muddy guitars sound.

The first two tracks are fast as hell on continue up tempo! Great! The solo by Santolla are very good…they can be technical, fast, evil at the same time. The two Tardy brothers are always young in their way of playing and sing while with the good “Evil Ways” the mid tempo parts are more present but never so obvious, also compared to a genre that surely doesn’t shine in originality by a band that made the true DEATH METAL a way of life.

It’s been awhile since Obituary left the obscure, weird intros in their songs, focusing on their own created music, but surely they don’t need a lot these things when you face the mid tempo and the doomy parts in “Drop Dead” or “Bloodshot” for example, with a catchy main riff. “Seal Your Fate” is again total up tempo madness.

To return to the classic Obituary suffocating down tempo, I recommend the 7 minute long “Contrast The Dead” while “Lies” is bit faster but with final “In Your Head” we are again stuck in the same purulent mud. Their riffs are unmistakable, really unique in gloom and stench of decomposition. Finally Obituary returned to very good levels.