Look At That Ass... - 70%

OzzyApu, April 22nd, 2009

Interesting curvature and color scheme, with such smooth skin caressable to the touch! Now then, with experience comes veterancy, but alas these dumbasses missed the mark yet again. Blessed be the production values, I must commend, but by now the gang should be able to at least execute a proper song, right?

Let’s break it down for the elementary school kids aka Zarach Baal Tharagh style. Production is a damn step up from the sophomore album, and Novembre have proved once again that they’re album to mold atmosphere, a riff, a melody, some lyrics, a drum rhythm, some bass lines, and in some way or form make a song out of it. Looks good on paper, but something jacked up when they pressed “record” in the studio and hit the first note. The energy is there, the effort can be noticed, but when we draw the thin red line of the ass crack, implementation is flawed.

Carmelo should have decided one utilizing harsh vocals more, since he never sucked with them. His scream / growl sounds more tortured than ever and slightly echoed. His cleans are what causes problems for all nations – they’re dry, dull, off-key more than not, and have no soul or resonance like on later releases.

Novembre is a band that takes pride in their ambiance and melodies, and they certainly hit the mark here. I enjoy the vibe here than on Novembrine Waltz as it leans towards more classical harmonies, like on “Nostalgiaplatz” and “Foto Blu Infinito.” I can easily hear orchestral renditions of those tracks, with more fervor and the performance spot on. Thanks to the leadwork this is accomplished, as is the same culturally correct link between riff and bass. Hear the walloping slam behind each riff chugged, picked, and ceased for the arrival of an interlude.

*Screeching halt* eeeeeeek! What’s the problem then? Well, the leads sound interesting enough, but they don’t have any impact like on later releases. The best of Classica ranks up with a decent track on say The Blue. The influences are there, but it wasn’t enough to bring in a combined arms experience to really enjoy these songs. The worst is that I can barely remember any of these songs – yeah, as catchy as “Cold Blue Steel” is when I hear it, give me ten minutes and I’ll never be able to hum it unless it was the only song playing for an hour straight.

The only member who comes close to getting some ass is Giuseppe since his performance outweighs everyone else. Two common attributes make a great drum performance for an album: production and skill. Recording was ripe for a change this time around, and this Orlando actually gained skill since the debut, so whoever placed bets on him is a rich man. Every crash and thump hit is clear, vibrant, and pulsating. His timing couldn’t be any better and I strangely find myself headbanging to his playing instead of the guitars (wow).

Come to think of it, the only thing great about this album, by far, above all else that could stand high, mighty, and worth your money… is the chick on the front. The red dawn, attention to detail on the lighting, that ass… dear lord that ass. If only the album was half as good as the cover, then this would be a ruby. Carmelo must have been like, “Hey, we still can’t create a worthwhile album – but there's a naked chick on the cover! Buy my album!”

I’d recommend it as a starting point, I guess. Arte Novecento was letdown by a longshot and the debut was fucking roadkill so don’t even go there. At least with this one you won’t be as disappointed, so why not. Plus, you can’t go wrong with that cover.