Legit. - 82%

DeathRiderDoom, February 2nd, 2010

Norden Light

Norden Light’s full-length was a surprisingly good find I happened upon while exploring a bunch of 80’s Swedish material. The band actually has that cool anthemic, melodic, powery sound exemplified by such other great artists as Zar, Elektradrive, Horizon and of course, the almighty Europe. This album represents that same rarer, refined and amazingly hook heavy softer variety of power-anthemism that still rocks hard. An addictive little album, this one’s been a frequent player on my ipod and home computer lately, and I’m thrilled to have another band in my collection that has the same sound as the aforementioned act. Strong musical performances, plenty of catchiness, and tones of fantasy themes and driving keyboards give this one a great character.

High points of this masterpiece include the enthralling slow anthemic pounder ‘Crossfire’ – a diverse track with one helluva catchy 80’s chorus. Total exemplification of the bands style here; powerful memorable hooks, great keys, strong vocals and simple, heavy riffs. The chorus is the real winner here, with a great, character laden lead vocal, well backed by softer, vocal choirs. The lyrics and song title are very badass, and the closing guitar section caps off what feels like a very emotive, passionate 80s power performance. Very much akin to Zar or Europe. ‘No Escape’ is another winner, with its fast roaring pace, and centering of heavy, phasered riffage, and shredding solos that kick plenty of ass. Great, and very metal track. Vocal delivery is nice and gruff too, showcasing the tougher side of the frontman. As with other bands of this category; Zar and Elektradrive especially, we get a strong early/mid 80’s Dio feel; especially on vocals, but also in the overall tone of riffage, bass and general mid pace pounding, and powery aspects. Good stuff.

A really strong effort, and from a totally unknown act. Basically sound wise it’s like Zar, or if you’re unfamiliar with them, it’s Dio meets Europe. Very cool shit. ‘Legends’, especially due to it’s excellent background guitar leads, and snarling, forceful vocal delivery, brings more of the Dio comparison I mentioned. While the majestic , centerpiece keyboards of tracks like ‘It Hurts’ and ‘Shadows’ (not to mention the more love-orientated subject matters and titles), and slower pace, bring more of a Europe feel. Strong guitar abounds, and with the fantasy vibe brought around by keys and certain subject matters, almost bring a ‘Somewhere Back in Time’ feel. Brilliant power/melodic heavy metal; totally recommended, especially for fans of aforementioned bands.

-DeathRiderDoom