The Cult of Negation - 95%

Storfeth, March 29th, 2011

This one was a highly anticipated release for me. And I'm glad it didn't dissappoint me to the least.

The first positive thing I noticed, was the length of the album, which was significantly shorter than the band's previous releases, so this album would become less tiring for the listener on matters of duration. Also, the production is as clear as it should be for this specific musical genre, and along with the music it contributes majorly to the album's overall atmosphere.

On music terms, the album generally follows the usual song pattern of Nocturnal Depression, with slow, melancholic riffs and some fast outbursts. A nice surprise for me was the fact that you can actually hear the bass playing, which is also adding to the atmosphere of the album, and it's not "buried" by the guitar and the drums, a thing that often happens in many metal albums. I have to admit though that the track which surprised me the most was the second track called "They", which kind of deviates from the band's usual music forms, and I would describe it as an "ode to misanthropy". The lyrics are worth mentioning too, since they are well written and their content of suffering and despair adds even more aesthetic to the feeling of the album.

Solitude, melancholy, despair, hatred, suffering, misanthropy. All the trademark elements of Nocturnal Depression are here, executed the best possible way. This is possibly their most "professional" album so far, and I'd highly recommend it to anyone who is a fan, or wants to have a first contact with the genre.

Originally written for: The Lair of Storfeth