Nocternity - Onyx - 85%

Perplexed_Sjel, April 4th, 2006

"Onyx" was my first helping of Greece's Nocternity and their second album to date, following up from "En Oria" which was released in the year 2000. I listened to this album not knowing what to expect or what i was going to hear. "Onyx" plays out just over 37 minutes and consists of six songs. I picked this album up mainly due to Nocternity's vocalist Whyrd, also the vocalist for German band Lunar Aurora whom i happen to love.

Nocternity produce very eerie and atmospheric music. It's mellow in places and fast in others. Vocals change from clean whispers almost, to deathly screams. I can't help but be reminded of Lunar Aurora when i listen to this album, which is certainly not a bad thing. Riffs and drums are generally fast paced, containing blastbeats in many places. Drums do break down into a slower pace and are generally quite simplistic, but are done extremely well. Nothing here is overblown or complicated, it's quite simplistic, but very good indeed. Riffs are also very melodic, which intensifies the atmosphere. Each song has a gentle, calm and eerie intro, which then breaks into a fast paced riff which hits you at 100mph. The music in itself is very heavy, which adds to the dark feel of the atmosphere. The vocals blend in well with the music and are never drowned out by any of the instruments, or drown out the instruments itself. I cannot stress enough how much this reminds me of Lunar Aurora in places, so i highly recommend it to fans of the German band as it's well worth listening to.

All in all, what we have here is a misanthropic album vomited forth from the depths of hell. Recommended for all Black Metal fans.