I cannot believe the bullshit I read on this page - 100%

TID, January 30th, 2010

Modern death metal scene is mostly a disgrace and yet Nile has released one solid CD after another. BSOV is not only solid, it's IMHO their masterpiece. It's brutal yet atmospheric and dark. The orchestration of songs like "Masturbating the War God" or "Chapter for Transforming into a Snake" is astounding. It is probably one of their most underproduced albums, so no wonder many dismiss it easily, but BSOV eclipses their previous material and sets a very high standard for the records to come, not only technically speaking mind you, (although the leap in that department is obvious) but in the variation throughout the songs. I'll grant you that the following albums may be a little more complex, specially In their Darkened Shrines, and yet I have the impression that no other album of theirs features the hypnotic chantings, the epicness or the savagery BSOV does so well (elements that can be pinpointed in the blasphemous track "Defiling the Gates of Ishtar")

Here I find a raw force that is more immediate and reminds me more of the "Amongst the Catacombs..." era than the recent material, but at the same time I feel that the very complex riffage and the architectonic nature of the songs make this a more intelectual and refined album. Whereas songs from "Amongst..." had a shorter breath, BSOV shows a sustained energy that fully exploits the band's capacity.

Funnily there are several instances where I find that some of the latest albums actually include emulations of past glories: newer epic tracks on other albums will always try to imitate the richness of "To Dream of Ur", slower tracks still make an effort to fathom again the disturbing, whisper-filled depths of "The Black Flame", their opening tracks found a new standard in the crushing title song.

I am tired of reading that Nile's DM approach is musical wankery, either because they are too technical or because the Middle Eastern elements sound too cheesy. Nothing more distant from the truth. Wankery is gratuitous, much like the music that is produced by many Prog bands, but I think that these riffs are perfectly justified, and the 'Egyptian' elements are never overbearing. Nile's music has a cerebral core, their themes are displayed very constantly and very coherently, and that is seldom seen in the metal industry, which is probably why brats that enjoy the pointless droning of lesser DM bands like Behemoth are unable to distinguish the greatness in Nile's albums.