One of my favourite Death Metal albums.. - 85%

Skyklad, August 30th, 2002

NILE - Black Seeds Of Vengeance (Relapse ~2000)
"Holy Shit !!!! This album is INCREDIBLE !! This makes "Amongst The Catacombs Of Nephra Ka" look like a collection of love songs (and I LOVE that one !!!). The production is excellent as well as the music itself. The songs are assembled in such a way that when you least expect it they cascade down into a furious bout of low tuned, speedy riffing and fast vomity vocals. The brutality level is a ten out of ten. An interesting aspect of the opening track is that they utilize an instrument called an Argoul, an oboe made out of reeds. That adds a uniqueness along with many other "sounds" the band interlace between the brutal vocals and riffing. I wouldn't even know where to begin as far as the lyrics are concerned. They are astounding and quite unusual for death metal bands. They derive lyrical inspiration from old cuneiform tablets and Egyptian Literature. You've got to pick up this album if you like your Death Metal brutal and the Egyptian theme is a definite plus in my book since the subject matter interests me.
-Cheryl