A solid mix of the past and the future. - 93%

Erebus_Unleashed, May 14th, 2011

It's hard to pinpoint when exactly I truly got into Nile, though I do centralize it around my first hearing of the live version of 'Black Seeds of Vengeance'.
Everything after that is history....

What stuck out for me at the start was the(now somewhat traditional) mellow opening(s) and interludes on this album. I knew what would be coming the second that the first track ended; however, that STILL doesn't give me time to prepare for the face-rape that is to ensue with the title track, which is quite a good thing considering IT'S NILE! The technique and brutality is ever present for the weird brand of technical brutal death metal the band is attributed as being. The guitars, though muddled, are ridiculously fast-paced and the drumming has absolutely no trouble keeping up with the hectic pace of each song(save 'To Dream of Ur', considering its obvious atmosphere). The production is actually quite decent, despite the quasi-prototypical standards that were in place for a majority of technical death metal at the time. The vocals are successful at keeping my attention, due to the variety of Chief's mid-level growls, Karl's deep gutturals, and Dallas' particular style evening out the sound. Each song does well to keep my attention, even the relatively short ones('Multitude of Foes' and 'Chapter for Transforming into a Snake'). I can't really speak for the lyrical content, simply because I don't really associate with the mythos the band implements(not to say aren't impressive, because they ARE).

That being said, it's time for whatever negatives I may have..................well, the production on the bass guitar could use some remastering, since it's just so audible(though more audible than their more recent efforts). The guitars could use some cleaning up, considering the insane amount of notes they put out with each riff; the riffs sound pretty opaque in the long run, blending together a little too well. The drumming technique is usually blast fest followed by intense drum roll followed by blast fest-basically, their early stages of now trademark Nile drumming. Other than these minute peeves, that's just about it for the negatives.

Overall, the album has little that would put off individuals from engaging in repetitive listens. 'Black Seeds of Vengeance' truly epitomizes the point of the band; to be one of the most thought provoking and overtly brutal bands this generation. This is Nile, in prime and primal form.

Verdict; BUY THIS SHIT.